Saturday, August 24, 2013

August Fantasy Contest of Champions – Preparation


Since at the last CoC I played a Rat Ogre hoard with Thrott the Unclean, I decided that this CoC I would play around with the other Clan that allows for a modified army construction.  I give you, PLAUGE!

Lord Skrolk

Plague Priest, Plague Furnace, Flail, Level 2, Warplock Pistol, Scyring Stone, Poisoned Attacks, Potion of Foolhardiness, dragon bane gem
Plague Priest, Flail, Dispel Scroll, Opal Amulet
Plague Priest, Flail, Potion of Strength, Scepter of Stability

30 Plague Monks, Full Command, Plague Banner
30 Plague Monks, Full Command
40 Slaves, shields, musician
40 Slaves, shields, musician

14 Plague Censer Bearers
14 Plague Censer Bearers
10 Plague Censer Bearers, champion

5 Giant Rats, Packmaster
5 Giant Rats, Packmaster
5 Giant Rats, Packmaster
5 Giant Rats, Packmaster

Once again, like my Clan Mouldor this, I expect to get my butt kicked hard.  Its -6 comp because of the very little magic items, but a 470 point, way overpriced, special character eats up my entire freebie magic items (500 points).

I haven’t decided if I will put all the characters into the monks and make a 1300+ point bunker or if I will spread them out in the censer bearers and give the units a little more oomph.  Based on their size though (they max out their movement trays), it is doubtful.

The plan?  Why to slam super expensive plague censer bearers into units that will just be steadfast.  Why?  I think the better question is, why not?

If I hit a unit in the front, 5 wide, the unit of 14 will put out 28 attacks at strength 5.  Of course, those 21 attacks assume that I don’t lose any guys, which is unlikely.  Odds are that I will lose 3 guys, and only kill 2-3.  So say I have 11 guys to attack.  That leaves 25 attacks at strength 5.  ¾ will hit thanks to lovely hatred and a good chuck wound.  If I’m lucky I will do 15 wounds (unless they have good armor).  So a unit of may lose its steadfast, but anything else and I’m screwed.  I will have to actually fight with the slaves to make it work – haha, so screwed.  There is probably a better way to construct this style of army but a few days before is not the time to figure it out.  Also, I have composition issues holding me back (which is why I don’t just have 1 large unit of plague monks).

You know in the movies how sometimes you see something completely awesome or horrible happen and then it turns out to be a dream… well, that’s what happened here.  Basically, I wrote the list and the breakdown, went home to discover that I don’t actually have 34 painted plague censure bearers.  I only have 21.  Seems the rest are still set aside, bits and stuff, ready for assembly as a long forgotten project.  Oops.

So back up list.  I first considered taking my Celesticon list, but then a -14 composition score had me reconsidering.  So I dug out my QCR list and played around with it a little.  Here is a -4 comp list (-2 for Hydra and -2 for Pendant of Khaeleth).

Supreme Sorceress, General, Dark Pegasus, Level 4, Lore of Death, Lifetaker, Pendant of Khaeleth

Sorceress, Dark Pegasus, Level 2, Lore of Metal, Dispel Scroll
Master, BSB, Dark Pegasus, Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Repeater Crossbow, Black Dragon Egg, Charmed Shield

6 Dark Riders, full command, repeater crossbows
6 Dark Riders, musician, standard, repeater crossbows
6 Dark Riders, musician, standard, repeater crossbows
6 Dark Riders, musician, standard, repeater crossbows
5 Harpies
5 Harpies

9 Shades
9 Shades

Hydra
Bolt Thrower
Bolt Thrower

Assassin, Rending Stars, Manbane
Assassin, Rending Stars, Manbane

Basically, I just shaved some points in the core by dropping a dark rider unit and adding a champion to one unit to pull out the points.  Also had to drop the +1 spell on Level 4 and lance on caster.  I look forward to seeing how those subtle changes work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment