Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Hobby Project – Bases


As part of my interest in improving my soft scores, I have decided to rebase my models.  I’ve actually been working on this for the last few months.  The first step was to figure out what I wanted to do.  I decided to go with the classic underground look.  One of my club mates has developed quite the still with base and terrain construction and after a little bribing he agreed to help me.  The first thing I did was to find examples of what I wanted.  The Bases I used can be found HERE.

I picked up a few copies and provided them to my friend.  After a few weeks of effort, my friend produced for me masters in various sizes from which we made rubber molds.

It has been a gradual effort in making copies.  My collection has gotten quite large and I only have one mold for each set.  In addition, I left the molds at my friend’s house and because of two very busy schedules it was not often that we got together for me to pour more.  Now though, I have taken the molds home in the hopes of speeding up the pace.  Currently, I figure I need up to 15 more pours of some of the sizes in order for me to have enough to replace my collection.

My friend and I met a week or so ago, and this time I picked up the molds and took them home with me.  I hope to be able to squeeze in a faster pour effort than I have been able to put in the last six months.  By count I’ve already produced over 250 bases with just over 400 remaining.  After that, I get to decide on a painting scheme.  I’m hoping that I will be able to take full advantage of an airbrush at least for the basing and washing.

I need to get my ass back into gear on the modeling as well.  I only have the occasional events scheduled for the rest of the year, so I fear that those posts will be insufficient to keep this blog busy.  If the Dark Elves do get a new book, and the changes are more substantial than the Lizardman book’s changes were then maybe I will get me in a good chunk of other games.

No comments:

Post a Comment