Sunday, September 1, 2013

Celesticon – Preparation

Due to the composition system of the contest of champions and the cancelling of a few events, Celisticon is really my first chance to revise my dark elf list post-QCR’s extermination of no Hydras.  My walk away was that I really missed those Hydras, but I found that I liked what the Harpies brought to the game.  I also liked what the bolt throwers offered, but with that nasty restriction of only 2500 points, I knew I would be in for a rough decision.

Supreme Sorceress, General, Dark Pegasus, Level 4, Lore of Death, Lifetaker, Pendant of Khaeleth, Focus Familiar

Sorceress, Dark Pegasus, Level 2, Lore of Metal, Dispel Scroll
Master, BSB, Dark Pegasus, Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Repeater Crossbow, Black Dragon Egg, Charmed Shield

6 Dark Riders, full command, repeater crossbows
6 Dark Riders, musician, standard, repeater crossbows
6 Dark Riders, musician, standard, repeater crossbows
6 Dark Riders, musician, standard, repeater crossbows
5 Harpies
5 Harpies

9 Shades
9 Shades

Hydra
Hydra

Assassin, Rending Stars, Manbane
Assassin, Rending Stars, Manbane

 
The major shift in the list, is that I have dropped a unit of dark riders.  In order to maintain my minimum core requirement, I had to add a herald (champion) to one of the units.  This puts my core points (not counting harpies) at 626.  Adding another model would have messed up my movement trays.  The herald does bring BS 5 and another attack, so I think it will work out ok.

I also dropped the +1 spell from the Death caster.  After looking at my spell list at QCR, which was nearly always the same, and which spells I actually cast, I decided that I did not need the spell.  We’ll see if that works out or not.  Opening up the arcane spot on my caster allowed me to add the Focus Familiar.  I think this will give me a little more ompf, allowing me another 6” of range.  This means I shouldn’t have to march as much, getting more shooting.  I also don’t have to worry about misfires on purple sun, which cost me a big win at WaaaghPACA in January.

This event will be three rounds, with all missions directly out of the book.  This only gives me concern when it comes to the Tower.  Obviously, I can’t hold the tower but for my shades… wait, I have harpies now!  The tower mission still concerns me, as I would have problems cleaning out 30+ models if they have a chance to move it.  But that’s easy, push hard with the hydras and then double charge anything that gets close – as long as its not a gut star I should be fine… right?  At least I can triple flame the unit before it moves in.  With an absolute win/loss, this mission does still give me some concern.  Also, the dropping of a banner puts me at only 7 fortitude.  This might sound like a lot, but they are all 6 wounds or less away from dead.  On the other hand, the other 4 missions are 100 points for a win, so good for me I suppose.

Interestingly, the rules pack talks about book missions, but then also talks about battle points for tie breaker.  The rules pack doesn’t break down how those battle points are earned though.  I’m assuming some sort of ETC style win break down.  We’ll just have to see.

Last year I didn’t do so well.  I think this may have been my first attempt with this list.  I have come a long way with it since then though.

I was disappointed to see that as of the list due date the event wasn’t anywhere near maximum.  I fear it will end up being a 10 man event.  Oh well, I guess just on percentages, that increases my odds, haha.  Last year’s winner was Hengle’s son, at his first event.  I didn’t see much of L2 on the sign up list this year, hopefully they will all add on last minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment