Friday, September 20, 2013

Hobby Project – Display Board – Assembly Day 2


Well, I had some pictures, but it seems they got eaten.  So here is the text that was written for the pictures... sorry.  Update… found the pictures, or retook them.


Banished from my wife’s presence as she wanted to get some online class stuff done on her computer, I decide to get started on my homework, even though it’s not even 24 hours after the first session.  Why couldn’t I have been this proactive with actual homework?

I decide to get started with the building half of the skullvane manse.  I had gotten most of the plastic assembly done one Day 1, even though I didn’t mention it (I mean, who really cares about assembling stuff by following the instructions?).


Having left off the long back of the building upon initial assemble (making putting on the roof fun), I decided that there was a need for additional detail to be added.  The building comes with many open windows.  My first thought was to do something with the second level, but it has grated bars.  The top floor though, has two sets of nice open windows.  I decided that something would need to go into that space.  A little trial and error later, as it’s hard to measure accurately without the final size I had cut down a floor.  Its close, with very little gaping around the corners.  In one of the pictures I put a model in, just to see how the size works out.  I’ll be putting another model there in the end – likely a converted greyseer.



Not shown is that I went through and caulked up all the gaps, both those that were obvious mold failures, but also all of the super tiny gaps between bricks on the sides.  This will come into play sometime in the future.


For the other half of the manse, I wasn’t really sure what I wanted to do.  Sean and I had discussed 2 options, either putting on the building, or working it into the structure as support for the second level.  I decided that I needed to assemble to building portion to see how it looked.  I did decide that I not want the level with the big skulls, and so I removed it.  I knew this would make the rest of the assembly a little more difficult.



Here is a shot of my assembling the third level of the tower.  I had also decided I did not want the horrible base piece.  There are so many damn two-tailed comets on this model.  I did assemble base though, so that I could use it to properly space and angle the crenulation – the parts just aren’t glued together.

I also knew I would be using the main bottom of the building either as a support of the building or the second level, so I utilized it for forming the main level of the building without gluing it on.


Here is a picture of level 1 and level 3 together on the tower.  I’m not  a big fan, and they don’t go together that well.


Here is a building without the crenulation.  I would just have a flat roof, maybe some rubble representing that there used to be more, but skaven mismanagement led to its failure.


Here is a picture of me holding a bell under the support piece.  This could be, and probably will be, done for any of the three options (big building, little building or as a support piece).

Next time I will work on what’s going into that upper floor, and likely assemble and install that bell.

No comments:

Post a Comment