Friday, September 13, 2013

August Fantasy Contest of Champions – Round 3 – Jon Pleitez – Wood Elves


The Mission
Deployment: Blood and Glory (Oops – we did Battleline deployment)
Special Rule: Alternate Victory Conditions

·         10 points for breaking opponents army

·         5 points for not being broken

·         3 points for capturing more table quarters (having any unit with no enemy units in corner)

·         1 point for capturing more banners

·         1 point if your General survives

 The List
Treeman Ancient, General
Spellweaver, Level 4, Lore of Life, Elven Steed, dispel scroll, ironcurse icon

Noble, Elven Steed, BSB, Dragonbane gem, hail of doom arrow

13 Glade Guard, full command, banner of eternal flame
11 Glade Guard, musician
6 Glade Riders, musician
8 Dryads
8 Dryads

4 Treekin
3 Warhawk Riders
3 Warhawk Riders

Treeman
Treeman

 
Jon was also a member of the Modesto group, and was also a great guy to play.  There were actually 3 in the group, and the last one seemed like a nice guy, though I didn’t get the chance to play him (gutstar, characters, double 3 pack mournfang, stone horn and thundertusk… and three sabertusks).

I really like Jon’s list, both conceptually and as a good match.  Back on my first table, we agreed that the lowest level of the hills was not impassible, but that levels 2 and 3 would be.  I decided that I really wanted the 3 bonus points, and so would deploy on one half of the board, and hope to lure him over.  I could then drop the shades on the other side to clear out whatever he put down and claim speed to hold.  I also knew that with the Hydra I would either have to push fast and kill the flame unit, or put the hydra on the other side.  Not wanting his desire to kill hydra to cause him to split the treeman, I chose to risk the hydra (since he wasn’t actually worth points in this mission) and run him at the flame unit (which was worth a banner).  With that in mind I knew I needed to strike quickly.  The warhawk riders needed to be top priority, as they could get to my characters.  After that it was the archers and glade riders as they could shoot and were worth the points.  I would devote my magic to the treeman as metal magic was huge.  I would avoid and ignore the treekin and deal with the dryads because I would have to.

For magic, Jon’s life wizard rolled Earth Blood, Throne, Flesh to Stone and Regrowth.  I had no fear of his magic, and with the exception of Regrowth didn’t see why I would even care.  Earth Blood and Flesh to Stone would make specific targets harder to kill, but I could easily just refocus for a round.  True, splitting shooting versus clearing off a target is much less efficient, but with small units like Jon’s that shouldn’t matter much.  Without being able to spam dwellers, I saw no reason to even care about throne – see comments on the other three spells.

For magic I took Gehenna’s Golden Hounds and Searing Doom on the metal caster – my only real way of fighting the bigger trees, treekin and treeman.  My death caster took spirit leech, carass, soul blight and doom and darkness.  I figured spirit leech to take on monsters, maybe, and soulblight to help me take out the dryads.



The first thing you’ll notice is that we did not deploy under the Blood and Glory rules.  I didn’t even realize we hadn’t until I was typing up the mission.  I don’t think it would have changed the result of the game, since we did correctly play the win condition.  Being closer may have given him another round with his Treeman strangle roots.

For deployment, from left to right, Jon deployed a unit of warhawk riders, unit of dryads, his flame unit, a treeman with the cavalry behind, the treekin, the ancient (with the sac), another treeman and his other unit of archers.  On the right flank was the other unit of dryads and warhawk riders.  So I was successful in getting him to focus on the left flank.

For my deployment I put dark riders on the left, the hydra and characters went heavy on the left flank in order to make that lure strong.  The harpies and another dark rider unit went for support.  The center got a dark rider unit, and then the right side got just a token dark rider unit – the hopes would be that it would be enough to pull something small for the shades to take out while also earning me the quarters.  The bolt throwers went on the left as well to help with the struggle.  I then drop both the shades on the right as planned.



Jon got the first vanguard, and moved his left warhawk riders up and the left unit into the center.  I chose not to vanguard with everyone, as his vanguards made some charges possible on the left.

We roll off and I got the first turn (I did have the +1).


Turn 1 – Dark Elves
Taking advantage of his aggressive vanguard moves, I took 2 charges on my first turn.  First a dark rider unit charged the left unit of warhawk riders.  He held, for fleeing would put him off the table.  A unit of harpies also had a flank charge on the now center unit of warhawk riders.  He fled back towards his board edge.  I also push the harpies on the left up to block the dryads to allow the hydra to go up fully with no risk of being charged.

Starting off with a 9/6 magic phase, I fail to cast spirit leech with 3 dice – go needing an 8.  In then chuck four at searing doom, figuring I could chuck 2 at GGH but irresistiblely cast it… and only the small version.  I target his ancient, as with all the trees on his line, the one with more points and the 18” leadership bubble seemed the best option.  I get lucky and roll a 3 for hits, following by 3 3+s.  There were then a few movements of shock as Jon processed that I just punked his treeman ancient.  My caster takes a wound and loses enough dice to end my phase.

In shooting I kill 3 dryads on the right and blow the fleeing warhawk riders off the table.  I also kill 2 archers on the flame unit, but fail to wound a treeman with the bolt throwers.

The dark riders do 3 wounds to the warhawk riders, taking 1 and pursue to the board edge while the warhawks run off.


Turn 1 – Wood Elves
Starting his turn down both warhawk units and his treeman ancient and general, Jon takes a quick look and charges with both dryad units.  On the left he takes the harpy charge.  On the right, the dryads lose their entire remaining 5 models to the stand and shoot and some very bad ward save rolling.  His leftmost treeman moves to shoot the hydra and the other advances.  The fast cav walks into the forest to get some shooting protection.

In magic, Jon rolls a crippling 2/1 phase and adds +2 toughness to the dryads in combat with the harpies.  Not sure why, perhaps afraid of a hydra counter charge?  That was not my intention with the hydra, so I let it go (not that I could have stopped it with 1 die).

In shooting, the flaming archers put a wound on the hydra, but the treeman fails follow up with a wound.  The other treeman kills 4 shades.  His fast cavalry kills 2 dark riders in the center.

In combat, the dryads only kill 4 of the harpies, and then I roll the snakes to hold.  Jon tells me this is bad for him as his dryads don’t move towards my line.  I counter with it being bad for me because it means on my turn he is going to reform and on his turn charge whatever direction he wants.  He agrees is worse for me.



Turn 2 – Dark Elves
With no charges for the turn, and keeping the dryads in mind, I move a dark rider unit around behind the dryads to play clean up on the flame unit as they hydra marches up to blow them a kiss.  This also gives Jon the option of reforming and charging the dark riders, hoping to run off the board to flee the hydra or flank the hydra, getting a hill bonus for his trouble.  I move up to maximize shooting on the left, keeping it in mind I don’t want to actually lure him to that side of the table as I currently control 3 quarters and I really want to keep him penned in.  I also move the BSB up to blow kisses at the archers – perhaps making me able to break them on this turn and score those 10 points.

With an 8/4 magic phase, I start by pulling the scroll on a mighty 3 die 18 spirit leech.  He then allows me to put soul blight on the flame archers (putting them at T2 and my flame template back to wounding on 2s).  I decide not to roll my last 2 dice as he was still holding 4.

In shooting the Egg kills 5 of the riders, and then my caster snipes out the last and wounds the BSB.  The dark riders then join in, killing the BSB and putting a wound on the caster (score 10 points!).  Both throwers then clean off the caster and put 2 wounds on the left most treeman.  The shades on the left put 6 wounds on the archer, which flees out of range of some of the units I had set up to shoot them.  Even after running I’m still able to knock the unit down to 1 model.  The hydra leaves 3 flame archers behind, to be cleaned up with dark rider shooting.

The solo harpy dies, and he turns to face the dark riders.



Turn 2 – Wood Elves
The dryads charge the dark riders, which get a wound through on the stand and shoot.  The solo archer keeps running nearly parallel to the board edge.

A 4/3 magic phase sees some treesinging to move the forest and extend the solo archer’s run.  It makes no difference to the game, as I’ve scored all points I can except for most banners, and points don’t make a difference.  The thing he could do was to break me, and I was keeping my general and 2 units of dark riders in my back field, freely throwing away the rest.  I knew I couldn’t get “more” banners at this point, since I had shot them all off the table on my turn 2, so the maximum I could get was 19 anyways.

The strangle root again fails to wound the hydra, but the other kills 1 dark rider.  In combat he kills 4 dark riders, and I hold.



Turn 3 – Dark Elves
Knowing that with the bolt throwers, general and 2 dark rider units I could hold 19 points (not break and 3 quarters), I decided to keep playing the game with everything else.  So to flee the treeman, I put the hydra into the dryads.  They had reformed to face the treeman and give the dark rider the rear.  I also push the solo archer towards the board edge with the harpies.

In magic I take my turn with a 4/3 magic phase.  He fails to dispel searing doom and I take off a treeman.  I end the phase as GGH is out of range and I was no longer playing with my general.

In shooting I put another wound on the treeman.

In combat, the dark rider dies, the hydra fails his saves horribly and takes 2 but wipes out the dryads on the thunderstomp.  I have to decide to overrun (flee from treeman) or turn around.  Knowing the treeman will catch me anyways, I overrun to leave my rear open and allowing the hydra to die.  Killing the banner gives Jon “more” captured banners and the 1 point.




Turn 3 – Wood Elves
Jon starts his turn by charging the treeman in the rear of the hydra.  Archer doesn’t rally.  A 3/2 magic phase has me dispelling treesinging.  The treeman takes 2 wounds from the hydra and fails to wound, still winning, the hydra runs off the table.


Turn 4 – Dark Elves
My BSB charges the solo archer off the table.

A 7/4 magic phase has him dispelling my searing doom on the treekin.  I don’t bother with the rest of my dice.

I manage to get 5 wounds onto the treekin with massed shooting.

Turn 4 – Wood Elves
Seeing just half a treekin unit and a wounded treeman on the table, Jon acknowledges he won’t be able to get any more points and concedes the game.

 
This was a rough game for Jon. The loss of his 2 fast units and his general first turn left him reeling, and my turn 2 destruction of 2 archer unit, the glade riders and both his elf characters was crippling.

No comments:

Post a Comment