Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Hobby Project – Display Board – Introduction

With the rebasing of my army, the need for a new display board also arises.  Specifically, two display boards.  Currently, I have just been using my travel base for both travel and local events, but I have decided that I will make myself a local board in addition to a travel board.  I technically have a local board, but it is not useable (I put in on top of a bookshelf.  My cat then decided it was a landing pad and flipped it off.  Landing on the ground crushed the pink foam.  I gave it back to its original maker for repairs – about a year ago).
 
First I will be making the local board, I think.  The travel board will be done when the bases are complete, so that they can be painted at the same time.  The travel board will have more of the brick than the local board.
 
For the travel board, I will probably strip down my current travel board.  Then I could brick it to match.  The tray has a high enough inset that the brick work should fit nicely.  The issue will be when it’s not assembled and the edges want to chip.  I can probably wrap it in something soft that would protect it.
 
For the local board, I’m going to build a 2x2 behemoth.  The current plan is a full abandoned mine, caverns, bridges and maybe even an abandon card track.  My friend, who will be helping me, seems to want to design on the fly.  I’m hoping we will be able to get together within 2 weeks.  Based on some of the ideas we have already thrown back and forth, I expect that it might be quite a high board as the actual space to place models will be put around a substantial need for actual space.  The goal is to have this board work for all my armies, and any I may build in the figure.  Given that I will need at least 3-4 flat spaces large enough to hold 100 man units.
 
My real fear is that the board will end up being so complicated that when I use a smaller army, like my dark elves, I won’t actually be able to find all the models.
 
Next time (on this topic)… Pictures (and hopefully some work being done)

No comments:

Post a Comment