Saturday, September 21, 2013

Hobby Project – Display Board – Assembly Day 3

Today i worked on the display board. I also was more proactive writing the post so it wasn't as delayed as the last two. The last two sessions I built up the structure; this time I worked on the details.

For the inside of the top of the building portion, I wanted to put a grand wizards nest, or something. Last time I had built a floor. 



This time I wanted to populate it. A major hole in the skaven line is the characters. The only plastic ones come in either the Isle of Blood starter set or on the Screaming Bell/Plague Furnace kit. That makes it a pain to get additional copies of each. Luckily, I have an extra bell kit waiting in my reserve pile (probably some really old tournament win). 

I didnt want to use the grey seer model though, because he is posed for being put on the bell. While i have used him on mounts, I havent figured out a good way to make him  look standing. The plague priest, on the hand is standing , but didnt have the look I wanted. The engineer was also a little more armored than I wanted. 

I decided to play around mixing them. Here is the grey seer head on the plague priest body. 



I think it looks pretty good. I will probably have to figure out how to get another set so I can make one or two for my own army. Now that the head is on, i will need to modify the cape and arm pieces to fit around the new head. 



I decided to keep the staff, but got rid of the censer. In side the building i think it will be too crowded, and a free hand might be better for what else I might put into the room. 

Taking a break from the room, mostly because I'm putting off digging through my bits, i decided to get started on the bell. Decided just to assemble it normally. 


And *poof* a bell…


I would install it later, but next I switched back to the tower. While the bellwas drying   i looked through my bits and found a book and some scrap. 


The book is from the warshrine kit, which was purchased for the possibilities of turning it into a custom plague furnace. After about a year I havent gotten back to the project so i thinking stealing the bit will be ok. I dont like the stand it comes with, but i found this end of warpstone I had taken off during some other project. Its almost the right height, just needing a little greenstuff cap.



Im not a big green stuff guy, but i think after is drys and ive put in a little sanding work it will meld it fairly well as a stone stand. 


I like the way this looks. If fills the space well. Heres a shot with the building finished. 


While waiting for the green stuff to dry and thinking about what i want to do with that floor, i decided to move on to some clean up. This being a GW kit it has lots of skulls, which for the most part is fine. But being a fantasy kit it also has lots of two tailed comets. Thats not so good. 


I decided to see if i could  remove some with my dremel. It might not end up clean, but a little more worn stone cant hurt.


Got most of them. I did end up leaving one or two just not to the overkill amount it comes with.

While moving on to the next step, i forgot to take a before picture. Here is an in progress shot while i wait for my dremel batter to recharge. 


Ive carved out what i can on the supports and will next be hollowing out the roof to make room for the top of the bell. 



 Not worried about neat as its going to be hidden as a support for the top level, since I've decided not to use one of the buildings. 

This is the bottom most of the way done, but it was time to take a break. 


No comments:

Post a Comment