Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Contest of Champions Composition System

This week saw the release of the 2013 CoC comp system, just in time for this weekend’s 2000 point event. Here is the comp system as released:

No more than 12 Power Dice can be used in any single magic phase. If you start with less than 12 you can use items, spells, or lore attributes to accumulate up to 12 power dice but any excess are lost.

The Vampire Counts Lore Attribute Curse of Undeath can be used to heal characters.

The Power Scroll has been amended: Arcane Item, one use only, 35 points. A Power Scroll can be used when the Wizard makes a casting attempt. During that casting attempt, the casting value of the spell is halved (rounded up). You cannot choose to boost a spell when using the Power Scroll.

All current GW FAQs are in use, please see this page for further details.

Treat BSB as heroes for the purposes of purchasing mundane equipment.

-2 for each 5% of total points (or fraction thereof) spent on magic items, abilities, gifts, powers, or any other similar bonuses after the first 10%. This includes any points spent on special characters.

-2 for the first Hydra, -6 for the second Hydra (Dark Elves)

-3 for each Chimera after the first (Chaos Warriors)

-5 for each K’daii Destroyer (Chaos Dwarves)

-2 per Terrorgeist (Vampire Counts)

-2 for the first Abomination, -6 for the second Abomination (Skaven)

-3 for the second Steam Tank

-2 per unit of Flamers (Daemons of Chaos)

-2 for the second Iron Blaster (Ogre Kingdoms)

-2 for the second Mangler Squig

-1 per fanatic after 6

-2 per Hellcannon

-1 per Sirens Song

-2 for Masque and Skulltaker

-3 for each Ethereal unit after the 2nd. Remember that characters are units!

-4 if more points spent on Special than on Core. High Elves are exempt.

-1 for each 5 wounds (or fraction thereof) after 45 in a single unit. Screaming Bells and Plague
Furnace count as 15 wounds in the unit it is assigned to.

-2 for each war machine after the first 3 rounded up (Dwarves get one additional slot). In addition to units classified as ‘War Machine’ in the rulebook, this includes the following: Skaven Weapon Teams (count 2 weapon teams as 1), Doom Wheel, Salamander (per model, not per unit), Stegadons, Iron Blasters, Scrap Launchers, any VC Scream attack and Thundertusk. Count 2 Goblin Spear Chukkas as 1 War Machine.

-3 for combining the 3rd eye of Tzeentch with the Mark of Tzeentch and a 4+ ward save.

Folding Fortress – 5
Book of Hoeth -5
Cupped Hands – 2
Pendant of Kaleth -2
Banner of the World Dragon -3
Dragonhide Banner – 3
Cube of Darkness -1
Vortex Shard -2
Hellheart -1
Doomrocket -1
Ring of Volans (on Warrior Priest) -1
Ruby Ring (Warrior Priest) -1
Any item that lowers leadership -1 per point of leadership loss.

Since the beginning of 8th edition I have had some sway over the final versions (though to be clear final say has always been left to the store owner). This year I played a much less active role, though I did provide a list of items that should be considered for inclusion along with a few existing items that should be revised or removed. I also saw a few in progress versions. As with every year, I can’t say I’m 100 percent happy. I don’t mean this to mean that what I want to play is being comped. While my skaven from last year has seen an increase in points hit( was a -2 all last year and that same list would now be at -8) my currently proposed 2500 point Dark Elf list was at -12 and will still be at -12. [Note: this comp score combined with the 20/0 battle score system will not see me doing well at any event]

Specifically, I’m glad to see an inclusion of Chaos Dwarves, though I have been told there will be another player vote involved before its official, I think that for proper “balance” (lol), they are much underrepresented in this copy system. A solo -5 Kadhi hit leaves the already strong book very strong in this system. The Iron Daemon, their “steam tank” equivalent, doesn’t even have mention as a warmachine.

After that, my complaints on the system haven’t really changed from last year. I don’t like the Special Characters being included completely as magic items, nor do I feel a percentage on magic items is warranted now that there is a specific list of magic items to be comped. Instead I would expand the magic item list a little, and increase the scale on the hits a little more.

I can see the rules change on capping power dice at 12 severely hurting my dark elf list. I will take it as a good test of what my army can do without a good magic roll. My plan will be to do what I want with what I have and save a die or two for two 1 die roll on power of darkness to end my phase. Perhaps I’ll get lucky and be able to push another spell through at the end of the phase. My death magic and normal roll will often make this secondary, and my normal policy to roll 2 dice would only end up costing me. Before this rule was added in 2012, there was a hit on power of darkness. I’d probably prefer to have the comp hit since I’m already comped out of the event, but I’ll make due, I’m sure.

Lastly, it should be noted that all of these comments are based on the assumption that there would be comp and that at lack of comp (as indicated by the store owner) is not an option. I personally feel that comp isn’t needed and doesn’t serve the purpose as intended. Sports scores should be weighted to allow over all core rewards for “softer lists.”

No comments:

Post a Comment