Wednesday, February 27, 2013

February Contest of Champions – Round 1 – Troy Perez – Wood Elves

So this is actually my second time writing this report. The first one was lost because it seemed the server was down and it meant my file wasn’t saving. Not sure how it didn’t just save to the computer, but there you go. Then I wrote a F’ rewriting post directly on my phone (which is how I post to the blog) and it didn’t upload. So, finding myself with some free time I decided to go ahead and rewrite. It’s been a few extra days so I may not recall as well, but that will be fine since no one reads anyways. Oh, and I suck and don’t have any pictures.



The CoC started fairly on its 10:30 scheduled start time with 24 players. At the end we were told there were extra prizes at 25 people, which I think sucks as we had an odd person they sent away because he was last and without a pair. But whatever, it’s fine. As noted before this year I was taking my Dark Elves and damn the comp, so I was starting out with a 10 point handicap for the event. Since the event was 2,000 points, I just took my Waaagh!PACA list from last month.



The first mission for the day was Battle for the Pass, straight out of the book. I was paired off with my club mate Troy Perez. The CoCs doesn’t count clubs for the locals, just the out-of-towners. Troy and I had played in the past, in fact a game just a week or so ago where he had squeaked out a win. That list was 2500 and had three treeman. This list didn’t and was as follows:



Highborn, The Dawnspear, Glittering Scales, Seed of Rebirth, Ruby Ring of Ruin, Shield, General



Spellsinger, level 2, Lore of Wood Elf Suckyness, Staff of Sorcery

Branchwraith, A Cluster of Radiants



29 Eternal Guard, Full Command, Banner of Swiftness

8 Dryads, Champion

8 Dryads, Champion

8 Dryads, Champion

8 Dryads, Champion



9 Treekin, Champion



Great Eagle



Troy deployed three units of dryads on the left flank (all flanks from my perspective), two near the line, followed by the eagle and then the third unit of dryads behind. This rear unit got the Branchwraith and the Spellsinger (right next to it). The center got the Highborn and Eternal Guard near the line. The right flank got the last unit of dryads followed by the Treekin.



I deployed two units of riders on the left flank, and everything else on the right (I had a big ruins in the center of my deployment zone). I dropped my shades behind the character bunker. For vanguard I moved up my riders to be at maximum range so that they could minimize the amount of movement they would be required to do, as movement meant 7s to hit dryads at long range.



We rolled and I won to go first. The shades moved up into close range of the character bunker, the hydras move up cautiously and the characters moved into spell range, death at the highborn and metal at the treekin. Magic was ineffective, drawing out dispel and the one spell that did go through was ineffective thanks to lucky 6 on the Highborn’s 6+ regeneration. Before the game I had failed to read Troy’s army list, and due to the placement of the Spellsinger next to the Dryad I had assumed him to be in the unit. Turns out he wasn’t, thankfully I realized it in time to correct. My first blast of shade shooting went into the bunker unit, taking off a few. Than realizing the character wasn’t in the unit, I send the second blast into him, killing both him and a few more dryads off of the 4+ look out sir. The left two rider units blasted into one of the front dryad units, and the same happened on the right. I plinked a few on the front units, but left the back with 2 and the branchwraith.



Troy’s turn 2 and I found out the second thing I had missed in not reading his list. The highborn’s unit made a charge at my center most, right flank rider unit. When I had vanguarded I thought he needed an 11, but turned out he needed a 10. Rolled a 3, so didn’t matter much but it could have been bad. I think forgot to stand and shoot (though only realizing it now – didn’t think about it for the first write up). The branchwraith abandoned his former bunker and moved in the left most dryad unit, and the left flank moved up only a little to allow it. The former bunker on the left flank moved to face the shades. On the right flank the dryad unit moved up, daring me to charge with the hydras and allow the treekin counter charge. The eagle moved into position to start charging casters. In his magic, 6 dicing the fireball allowed for two riders to be plinked off.



On my turn 2, both shade units charged the last two dryads, one on front and one in flank. Because the unit was in a forest, I felt that my chances of killing them both were better in combat then shooting. Half the shots, but hitting better with rerolls to hit. A unit of riders charged to force the eagle to flee. My hydras took the bait on the dryads and my BSB moved up to use his Black Dragon Egg to attempt to prevent the counter charge by the treekin. My casters moved up into the safety of the space between the Eternal Guard and the Treekin. In my magic phase I managed to put two wounds on the Highborn. In my shooting phase I plinked some dryads on the left, and killed the eagle. My BSB failed to cause a wound to the treekin, allowing them normal counter charge options. In combat my shades killed only one of the dryads and each unit lost one shade (2 wounds versus 1 wound, charge and flank saw me the victor). The dryad champion made his stubborn roll. The hydras decimated the dryad unit, and one of the hydras over ran into the treekin while the other failed his 6 to join.



On Troy’s turn 2, the non-bunker unit on the left charged my out of position rider unit (who had failed to contact the eagle). My unit turned and fled. The highborn unit, having no legal charges moved to support the treekin, fireballing another two riders from a different unit. The shades failed to kill the dryad, who also failed to kill a shade. The dryad didn’t pass his test this time, but did roll higher to flee. The treekin did three wounds to the hydra, who then failed to respond but did pass his test to stay.



On my turn 3 a shade unit failed charge to push the last dryad closer to the board edge. My second hydra and BSB joined the dying hydra in the treekin combat. My characters and four rider units (one having rallied), moved out of charge range of his remaining units. The second unit of shades chased after the left flank dryads. In my magic phase I rolled strong and managed to kill the highborn and get enchanted blades on the fresh hydra. In my shooting phase I plinked the new bunker unit down a few more models. In combat the Treekin champion challenged my BSB, allowing both to whiff wonderfully. The treekin then failed to cause a wound to either hydra. The worn hydra also failed, followed by a wonderful failure by the fresh hydra. Pulling out the was due to the wonderful breath weapon. 7 hits with 5 wounds, which thanks to all the buffs were strength 5, armor piercing, magical and flaming, ignoring all the treekins saves and doing 10 wounds. Due to the combat taking place on the Wood Elves’ free forest Troy was unable to claim steadfast and the treekin broke and were run down.



On Troy’s turn 3, the left most dryads ran towards the corner, with the branchwraith switching units and the positioning such to protect the weaker unit. The Eternal Guard also moved off into the corner. The rest of the game proceeded with Troy trying to conserve points (all of which remaining would be saved). Late game I would flee with a unit of shades, and roll a 10 to run off the table – a 10 being what I needed to do so. As such the game would end with me 1300+ points up, having only lost the shades and 2 riders each from 2 units. A solid 18/2 victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment