Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Bay Area Open – Conclusion

So in the end I went 3-2, which is always my goal going into an event, though it of course would have been nice to have done better. In the end I played 3 of my worst matchups there and 4 strong players. I’m happy with how I did, even with those close losses.



What I’m not happy about was the 1.5 hour late start, the numerous errors in score keeping, and the cramped spaces. There was also an issue where the Frontline crew hadn’t actually told the Fantasy judge that they had a paint system published for the event. It just didn’t seem like a group of TOs that have run dozens of events over three years. Having been to the two previous years I know that these amateur hour mistakes are not the norm, and still plan on attending next year (as Bay Area Open seems to be the only time they include a fantasy event). I hope that next year they pre-print their result sheets and actually print out pairings each round. It was annoying to have to wait to report scores while the computer was used for 40k pairings.



As to my list, I ended the event less unhappy with the assassins than day two. I think I’m going to keep them for my next event, which is Adepticon but make some changes to the shade unit. The biggest issue were the games when the shade unit died before I even got a chance to place the assassin on the board, but after utterly nuking the doomwheel, I really do see a point in their inclusion. I can see other non-regenerating monsters being a prime candidate for an assassin’s attention, freeing up my death caster to focus on other items (like characters).



No comments:

Post a Comment