Saturday, June 7, 2014

Adepticon – Warhammer Championships– Round 4 – Eric Bemus – Daemons of Chaos

Terrain:  All forests are mysterious.

I find myself again on table 4 (yay for me on table 4, round 4 of singles) with that nasty piece of terrain.  Eric and I talk, I explain what we did last time and the various options I see for the piece.  Eric agrees that the piece is one that can be moved through, and the columns can’t be stopped on, but that it doesn’t impede normal movement.  A much more reasonable interpretation.

At the end of the doubles event, one of the TOs had asked me what I thought of the event and I had complained about this terrain feature.  After this game I would again complain, but this time to the head TO.  He told me he knew it was horrible when it was taken out of the box, but it was on a sponsored table and there hadn’t been a piece to replace it with.  We agreed it was probably a great 40k piece, where terrain is more lose, but a horrible fantasy piece.

Deployment: Dawn Attack

Special Rules
Each general starts with a magic item, Claw of the Plaguelord.  Bound Power Level 4, ignores all irresistible force results (will still cast normally).  Spell has 14” range, and target unit takes D6 T tests or wound without armor save.  If you kill opponent’s general, your spell instead has 21” range and does D6+3 T tests.

Bonus Points
+2 Points for killing general (not fleeing off table) and keeping your general alive
+1 point for successfully casting bound spell
(Plus 3 Points for Terrain)

The List
Great Unclean One, level 4 wizard, lore of death

Epidemius
Hearld of Nurgle, BSB, less locus of virulence

28 Plaguebearers, Musician, banner, banner of swiftness
15 Plaguebearers, musician, banner

4 Beasts of Nurgle
2 Beasts of Nurgle
2 Beasts of Nurgle

3 Plague Drones, poison, banner, banner of eternal flame
Skill Cannon
Skill Cannon


Now this is a nasty nurgle wall.  Everything the last one was but more beasts (by 2 and split into more units), 3 drones and 2 skill cannons.  Nasty.  Not that I should complain given that I’m running an 11 man bro-lock unit with 4 fighty characters bunkered inside.  Eric and I really deserved each other.  Actually, at this point given the lists I’ve played I’d wonder if they were doing some sort of weighting for pairings… well I would if there weren’t so many of us and lists were submitted day of.

Magic
Eric rolled spirit leech, caress, soul blight and doom and darkness.

I picked up purple sun and spirit leech along with searing doom (skull cannons have armor!).


Deployment
I rolled to deploy my army first, getting a good spread.  Eric would then roll his entire army in the right corner or center to deploy alongside the corner.  Lucky him.

I got to vanguard strong on the left, and conservative on the right to quickly encircle him and give myself good fire positions for the likely event I went first.


I got the first turn.



Turn 1 – Dark Elves
No charges of course.  Strong movement on the left to bring my large bunker onto his flank.

An 8/6 magic phase has me start with a 3D searing doom on a cannon, which he allows and does 3 wounds.  A 4D spirit leech on the same one is dispelled.

Shooting does 1 wound to a beast.  Harsh.




Turn 1 – Daemons of Chaos
The beasts move up to begin what will be a hunt for the bolt throwers.  The unit on the right takes a dangerous terrain wound.

A 10/5 magic phase gives +1 ward save.  A 5D spirit leech on my death caster gets scrolled.  He rolled super high and I didn’t like my chances and with the caster holding the scroll it didn’t’ make sense to take any risks.  A 5D caress sees me failing the dispel attempt and him getting taken off – poor purple sun never getting to see the light of day.

The full wound cannon misfires, losing this turn and next.  The wounded cannon blows itself up.  Wish that had been reversed, but 2 misfires isn’t something to complain about.




Turn 2 – Dark Elves
I keep moving, staying out of range of too many charges.

A 9/7 magic phase as a 3D soulblight on the cannon dispelled.  A 6D big doom bolt on the cannon fails to cast.

I put 2 wounds on the greater daemon and then take off the cannon.




Turn 2 – Daemons of Chaos
The drones charge the caster bunker on a long charge and make it in.

An 11/6 magic phase has me passing my leadership test.

I allow a bunch of spells as I want to make sure I dispel doom and darkness on my casters.  So a 3D caress kills a bolt thrower and a 4D splirt leech kills another.  I do dispel the 5D doom and darkness (would have sucked to fail).

In combat the doom fire warlocks do 5 wounds to the drones, losing 1.  He makes his test.




Turn 3 – Dark Elves
Little movement as my right flank doesn’t exist and my left is unthreatened.

An 11/6 magic phase has a 2D SB on the Epidemius bunker.  A 6D big doom bolt then fails as does a 3D soul blight.

In shooting I kill 5 plague bearers and the great daemon makes his saves.

In combat the doom fire warlocks fail their fear test, but still do 2 wounds.  I lose another and the combat holds.




Turn 3 – Daemons of Chaos
A small unit of beats joins the doom fire warlock combat... cheater for not letting me win the combat on the grind.

An 11/7 magic phase has me again passing a leadership test to not be a herald.  A 2D spirit each kills a dark rider, and a 3D caress kills another.  I dispel the 4D doom and darkness and he ends the phase.

I put another wound on the drones but then lose combat and run off the table.





Turn 4 – Dark Elves
My bunker unit charges the smaller unit of plague bearers.

A 7/6 magic phase as a 5D bight soul blight going off irresistibly, costing me a doom fire warlock.  A 4D attempt at the mission bound spell is dispelled.

In shooting I kill off the drones.

In combat I delete the plague bearer unit.




Turn 4 – Daemons of Chaos
Beasts charge a bolt thrower.

A 9/6 magic phase actually sees him roll a 6, but the effect scatters off my unit.

A 3D caress on my BSB fails.

My bolt thrower fails fear and dies.



Turn 5 – Dark Elves
I move into a better position.

A 6/4 magic phase starts with a dispelled 4D doom bolt at the greater daemon.  A 2D throw at the mission bound spell fails.

All my shooting manages another wound on the greater daemon.



Turn 5 – Daemons of Chaos
Epidemius bails out of the plague bearer unit that will likely get charged on the following turn.

A 4/3 magic phase drops his ward save (great timing!).

He gets off a 4D doom and darkness on my bunker but without the ability to make me test.




Turn 6 – Dark Elves
I use both my potions and charge into the big block.

I then double charge the greater daemon with 2 dark rider units in the hopes that static combat will get me through.

I get a 3/2 magic phase and put it all into a mission bound spell on the greater daemon.

My general kills his BSB in a challenge, and I kill 10 plague bearers.  I take wound on each of the masters.  He holds.

My dark riders lose 4 but hold.




Turn 6 – Daemons of Chaos
Unable to do anything movement wise that matters, Eric goes to a 10/6 magic phase.  He rolls 2 6s on my units.  1 moves off the solo caster, while the other hits a dark rider unit and kills 4.  I hold to keep my terrain feature.  Only thing he casts is the mission spell.

I kill 12 plague bearers but don’t clean up the unit.


Another win, but don’t’ get the general so not a full point game.

No comments:

Post a Comment