Monday, February 3, 2014

WaaaghPACA! – Arrival

So first thought upon arriving in Wisconsin was that I was an idiot and making this trip a second time was a big mistake.  It’s cold there; I mean really cold.  And it was in the 70s back home.  But no matter how cold it got, the thought went away fast and stayed away.

My second flight had been a little delayed, so I got to hang out at the airport for an hour or so while I waited for the next wave of my group to land and for the car to come back and get us.  This year, 6 of us flew out and met in Milwaukie.  We would later meet another 2 from California to make our contingent a mighty 8 people.  The 6 of us decided that we would come in on Thursday and enjoy an evening together.  The group I went with last year (made up of some of the same people) did it then also, but due to scheduling I was unable to join.

While waiting at the airport one of the guys let me know that he has forgotten his display board at the rental car, so I busied myself (and got over the initial cold shock) reacquiring it.  Then it was bundle up in the truck and off to the first hotel.  We then spent the night doing a little drinking (well little for me, lots of them) and having some good food.  Friday morning we got up, a little later than planned, and headed off to Waupaca.

As I already posted, we did not arrive in time to start the 3 round event and I never really figured out who I needed to talk to in order to join the last two games.  Not a big deal as I got to hang out and catch up with a number of people.

I tried to get a good night’s sleep and move on to the main event.  As last year, the Point Hammer guy’s ran a tight ship and kept to their schedule, something that at least I really appreciated.


No comments:

Post a Comment