Friday, February 14, 2014

WaaaghPACA! – Round 2– Steve ??? – Daemons of Chaos

There was a little mix up in the scores and for a few minutes I thought I was playing Ben Cone (from Wisco dice).  After scores were corrected, I was paired up with Steve.  I didn’t write down Steve’s last name, it wasn’t on his sheet and I didn’t see a Steve playing Daemons on the final sheet so perhaps I got his name wrong or it was a nickname.  No idea.

Deployment: Meeting Engagement
In addition, the youngest player decides who choses table sides (and who deploys first) and the person who deploys first also decides who goes first.
Man of Intrigue: Opponent choses who gets the MoI.  If you have 3 or more core units than they must choose a core unit, otherwise they can choose either core or special.  Opponent also deploys the MoI unit, who does not roll for reserves, must be at least 6” from the table edge and gains vanguard as if fast cavalry (one would imagine to prevent it from being faced the wrong way).
Scenario Points:
                  4 Points – Win by 100 points
                  3 points – Tie (within 100 points)
                  2 Points – Lose by less than 300 points
                  1 point – Lost by more than 300 points
                  0 points – Lost by more than 1,000 points
Objective (1 point): Killing your opponent’s MoI without losing your own.




The List
Keeper of Secrets, Level 3 wizard, Lore of Slaanesh, Lesser Gifts x2

Herald of Slaanesh, BSB
Herald of Tzeentch, Level 2, Lore of Metal, Disk of Tzeentch

24 Daemonettes, full command, banner of swiftness
12 Bloodletters, full command

5 Seekers of Slaanesh, banner (MoI)
5 Seekers of Slaanesh, banner
3 Fiends of Slaanesh

Skill Cannon
Skill Cannon


This list looked very much like a Slaanesh army with two cannons thrown in, and then so someone doesn’t call him on it he also put in some bloodletters.  Not sure if that’s what happened here, but it’s what has happened on my local scene.

In generating his gifts, Steve told me that generating two and taking both on magical items allowed them to stack.  He told me had it cleared with the TO.  That was sort of true, but sounded so strange to me I wanted to double check.  Turned out that what the TO had ruled as that if one sword gave the “bearer” an advantage it did not require the weapon to be used in order to give the power.  At a lesser gift level the only sword with the “bearer” rule provided frenzy.  I don’t think this made Steve happy, as he told me only took two small gifts instead of a larger gift because the TO had told him of this stacking.  Seems strange to me that they can even have to magical items, but I guess the Daemon book allows for it.  Anyways, he ended up taking the ASF sword and the +1 to hit sword.

I thought I had a good plan to beat this army.  Take out the cannons, protect the dragon from the cannons and ignore everything else.  But he is fast, so I’d have to be careful and play those long charges carefully in order to sneak my monsters in.  I took advantage of Steve only having 2 core units to put the MoI into a unit that I would find much easier to kill.  He put my MoI on a 5 pack and put him in the corner.  Didn’t really matter, the 5 packs couldn’t kill anything and the 6 packs didn’t need to get close and as fast as he was the issue was getting close to charge not staying away.

Magic
I took fireball and flaming sword.

His level 2 took searing doom and final transmutation.  His level 3 took cacophony, acquiesce and slicing shards.  Great… two spells that take away my chance to play.  Fun…





Deployment
For deployment I got to go first.  Rolled a 1 on two units of reavers, a 6 pack and a 5 pack.  Knowing I was going to get to go first allowed me to deploy aggressively along the front line.  I put the dragon near the tower as it granted me the entire lore.

For Steve’s deployment he rolled a 1 for a cannon and the non MoI seeker unit.  Seeing my monsters up front, Steve deployed a little back.  He knew I would have to come to him due to the cannons and then he could just cacophony spam (doesn’t that just sound fun?).

We rolled off and he got the first vanguard, which allowed him to pull back his seekers.  I advanced with mine as I had the speed advantage and knew I was going first.

Turn 1 – High Elves
No charges to make and nothing to fly over.  I advance along the right side, putting myself trapped against the board edge but trying to get close to the cannons while keeping the 20” greater daemon movement and 12” cacophony bubble in mind.  I choose not to bring on my units.  Probably should have brought on the 6 pack just for the few bows they could put out.  My MoI unit begins its walk (started during vanguard) towards my pack corner, careful not to give a flank to the cannons.

I for a 5/5 magic phase, but fail my first casting of fireball.


Shooting kills 2 bloodletters.



Turn 1 – Daemons of Chaos
No charges to start Steve’s turn.  He does bring on both of his units.  He moves to face the right flank.

An 8/4 magic phase with the daemon table doing nothing.  He starts with a 4D searing doom on a unit of reevers which I allow.  He gets 3 hits, killing 2 and I pass my panic.  I then fail to dispel his 4D acquiesce on the far left unit of reavers.


The cannons do nothing.



Turn 2 – High Elves
Again no charges and continue moving up the right side.  I bring on the 6 pack this turn, leaving the 5 pack off as anything it could do would be in his back corner.

A 6/4 magic phase has me throwing a 5D fireball on the non-MoI seeker unit, taking them off with 10 wounds.  I then throw a 1D flaming sword on the reavers which goes.


Shooting does nothing.



Turn 2 – Daemons of Chaos
He takes his MoI unit and charges the phoenix.  I didn’t see this coming as it was his MoI unit and he didn’t want it to die – and that wasn’t a combat they were going to win.  What it did do was pin me in place as his army closed around me.

A 12/6 magic phase summons 14 bloodletters, further closing off the right flank.  He then 4D searing doom, which I allow but does nothing.  A 3D acquiesce is dispelled.  A 5D cacophony hits the phoenix in combat (not bubbled), doing 11 hits but only 1 wound.

A cannon takes off the non-combat regular phoenix because I rolled a 1 on my wardsave.  Sad.  The second cannon takes off my general’s charmed shield but his mount makes its save.

In combat my now always strikes last phoenix takes a wound and then flubs but holds.


I roll a 1 for the dead phoenix and pick up its token… now 1 for 2 to come back for the weekend.



Turn 3 – High Elves
My turn 3 and I see my chance to lock in the MoI bonus.  My general joins the phoenix in combat.

A 7/6 magic phase has a 5D fireball dispelled.  A 2D flaming sword goes onto reavers.

Shooting puts 1 wound on the greater daemon.


The general and phoenix then take off all but 1 of the seekers and he passes his test, pinning me.



Turn 3 – Daemons of Chaos
Both skillcannons go into the combat, one onto each phoenix.  The non-general gets flanked by the greater daemon.  For some reason he doesn’t also charge his unit in, not sure why.

A 7/4 magic phase has the table again doing nothing.

A 4D irresistible forced small cacophony only on the phoenix in combat with the general.  It does 5 hits and another wound to the phoenix.  A 5 on the miscast does another wound to the phoenix and one to the greater daemon.  It also ends the phase.

Impact hits kill the solo phoenix.  The general’s phoenix takes 1 wound from impact hits.  I kill the MoI unit and do 1 wound to the skillcannon.  The mount then takes 2 more wounds.  My general then gets run down.


At the end of the turn the normal phoenix comes back with 4 wounds and the general blasts and does another wound to the skillcannon… now 2/4 for come back on dead phoenix.



Turn 4 – High Elves
The recently resurrected phoenix, now on the other side of his trap charges the wizard that had been hanging out in the backfield.

I advance the dragon along the left side as he is now cannon bait and the building hasn’t done anything for me.

A 7/4 magic phase has me putting out a 5D fireball that kills 5 more bloodletters.  He fails is dispel allowing me a 2D flaming sword on some reavers.

In shooting I put a wound on a skillcannon.

My phoenix kills the level 2.


At the end of my turn the general comes back to life with 3 wounds on his mount and moves onto the other side of his encirclement.  Now 3 of 4 for come back for the weekend.



Turn 4 – Daemons of Chaos
Now understandably frustrated (since he killed those phoenix he’s watched his 850 points disappear, and cost him a wizard) Steve has no charges.

A 4/4 magic phase lowers his ward save.  A 4D bubbled cacophony gets my dispel scroll.

The cannons shoot at my general, but I pass my ward saves (using my crown – the general hadn’t taken any wounds from the combat).


We discuss whether to go onto the next turn or not.  We technically would start about a minute prior to the 15 minute cut off.  We decided to go for it, after all, had we not travelled this far to play warhammer?

No pictures of last turns due to time...also why blurry


Turn 5 – High Elves
My dragon uses his potion and chargers the bloodletters.  My general charges a skill cannon.

I bring on my 5 pack and hide them in the back corner.

I don’t bother to cast any spells but I do get + ward save on the phoenix.

I kill the cannon.

Turn 5 – Daemons of Chaos
The summoned unit fails to get in with dragon.

A 12/6 magic phase could have gone really bad but I pass my test to keep my wizard.  A 4D slicing shards on my general puts a wound on the mount.  Cacophony puts a wound on my general

In combat I kill the khorn.

This game gave me a solid 5 thanks in no part to the fact that two of my phoenix stood back up.

No comments:

Post a Comment