Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Adepticon - Arrival


The trip to Adepticon was fraught with trials.  Getting to the airport was smooth.  Thanks to my wife for giving me a ride, and picking up two of my group on the way.  As much as they complained about the flight not being ‘direct,’ the stop in LA did not actually require us to get off the plan and only added time to our trip.  And let’s be clear, that time didn’t matter as they closed the Chicago airport.  Yup, we didn’t go to Chicago, we went to Indianapolis.  Not even in the same time zone, though only a 45 minute drive away.  Initially we were given an unknown time to leave Indianapolis, and we considered making the drive.  But as it was a 5 hour drive, even a 4 hour wait would see us arriving at the same time.

 In the end we were able to get into Chicago a little over 5 hours later then we were supposed to, but that was fine as we got our luggage and didn’t have any plans that evening that we missed.  We ran into Justin of Secret Weapon Miniatures and he was kind enough to not only join us in our limo, but pay the cost.

 Last year Adepticon was only three days, with the Friday having 2 1000 point events and a 3000 point event, Saturday being the 2400 main event and Sunday being the team event.  This year they expanded to 4 days shifting the 2 1000 point events to Thursday, the team event to Friday and leaving the weekend of an expanded singles event.  The 3000 point event was not kept.  Last year I didn’t play in the team event as I didn’t have a partner, but played in one of the 1000 points and the singles.  This year, I was planning on the team event and the singles event.  I therefore decided to not play in either of the 1000 point events as I wanted the day to recover from the flight, check in with friends and hit up the vender hall.

 Next year I will just play.

The same weather system delayed many of my friends from arriving on Thursday.  Also, for some stupid reason, the vender hall wasn’t open.  That left me without much to do after I slept it (which was nice).  I think next year I will play in at least the afternoon 1000 point – assuming I go back (which I want to).  I still won’t play if they put in a 3000 point event, but defiantly the singles and doubles events.  I’m actually finding that I’m starting to love doubles events.


The weather was so bad, that I was woken (for the first time) at 4:00 am with an area flood warning.  I would continue to get these warnings every few hours through Thursday and in early Friday morning.  I guess the rain and thunder had streets flooded and sinkholes causing massive damage.  Nothing that affected the hotel though.

 We were in the same room again this year as we were last year.  I think it’s a great space, and this year we didn’t have to share it with any other events.  I hope next year they keep expanding the fantasy event, and that people keep signing up.

I have to note.  As I write this post, the Adepticon list of posts just keeps expanding, and is becoming a quite daunting task.  Expect these to be interrupted with other posts as they filter in over the next few months.  Odds are I will power through and write them all, and then just set them up for automatic posting.  I will be delaying battle reports for hobby updates – after all, it just doesn’t make sense to have 5 stored up hobby posts all at once a few weeks after the event I built them for has been played.  Battle reports on the other hand age must better – after all, a game is a game is a game no matter when played.

No comments:

Post a Comment