Friday, April 19, 2013

Hobby Update – Night Runners


If you look at my skaven collection, I figure I have around 20,000points before magic items and only minor unit upgrades.  From these points I can put on the table anyunit except for a Warp-grinder.  As theseare horrible I don’t feel bad about it. This doesn’t mean however that I can make any list, as some of theselections I am limited in what I can put on the table.  For QCR 2012 I had built and painted 20 nightrunners when I ran 2 units of 10.  Manyof these night runners had since been taken for use as gutter runners/shades.  But 2 units of 10 is not enough, and so Idecided I needed a few more.  I took anight runner box I already had in my ‘stash’ and added another night runner boxand 10 clan rats.  I then mixed up theparts, added a few extra slings I had from previous night runner boxes, shookthe whole thing up and ‘presto’ 6 units of 20 night runners.

 

If only it were that simple.

 

To fill in those 50 models, I added a few others I hadpre-assembled.  A couple of years ago,and in the time since I have tried to keep an eye out for the clan rat/nightrunner models as they are of an older generation.  This project used up a good portion of thosemodels, at least the ones that haven’t been soaking for over a year to bestripped.

 

Over a week I clipped, cleaned and in general got the night runnerparts ready.  I also begged, traded andbummed various bits from my friends and club mates for the conversions I had inmind.  What I wanted was lots of lights,lanterns, candles, etc.  And yes did itwork.  I actually have a few left overfor expansion to the project.

 

In order to have a more fluid unit, and to not have to deal with thedreaded ranking issues, I decided to not actually put 20 guys into my units of20.  I decided that 14 gave a good amountof fluidity to the units, while still leaving enough differences in base sizesto pull wounds off as needed.  Every unitgo one 4x1 I had stashed from some of the early boxes of these clan rats, one40mm and three 2x1, which I created over a few days with various kinds of glue(super to hold, plastic to firm up) and then contour putty to fill in thegaps.  Hopefully once painted they willlook like 1 base without that much difference.

 

I have included a few pictures at various levels of assemble.  I was supposed to go to a tournament thatday, but as it was a 2 hour drive each way and they told me it would probablyhave less than 5 players I decided to skip and go with this instead.  I feel I would have gotten farther, fasterbut my house decided to have a sewage issue and that ended up taking a goodamount of my attention.  I didn’t sleepwell Saturday night, so early Sunday I was up and finishing the project.

 

I figure I will start painting them after I return from Adepticon.





These two pictures are close ups of the units.  You can see the 'stashed' rats already assembled, or mostly along with my additions on non-20mm bases.
Shot of all 6 units with legs.

Bodies

Heads


just slings and torch conversions
All Right arms

All Arms

 
Completed

No comments:

Post a Comment