Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Round 2 – Joe Gero – Chaos Warriors

As a reminder my list can be found here:

http://theverminlord.blogspot.com/2013/01/eshin-scouting-party.html?m=1

Joe let me know that he didn’t know he was playing until the last week, so he wasn’t as prepared as he would have liked to have been. This included not having an actual army list, which he said he had prepared the night before and couldn’t provide as the printer at the hotel wasn’t working. I didn’t mind as all his models were clear. We decided to play open list, so I wrote his list down and handed him a copy of mine. I didn’t check his points at that point, nor have I, nor will I. I also don’t have all the technical names of items, just his descriptions. His list was as follows:

Chaos Lord, Halberd, Helm of many eyes, +1 Toughness and mark of Tzeentch
Chaos Sorcerer, Level 2, Fire, ITP, immune to poison and killing blow and dispel scroll, horse
Battle Standard Bearer, mark of Tzeentch, halberd, Banner of Rage
5 Marauder cavalry, mark of slannash, spears, throwing axes
30 Warriors, mark of Khorn, halberd, Banner of Eternal Flame, Full command
16 Chosen, mark of Tzeentch, halberd, Wailing Banner, Full command, favor of the g-ds
2 Warshrines

It seems that while round 1 was the only round where I didn’t have an army list, it was also the only round where I took pictures of the board. Sorry.

Mission #2:
Victory Condition – Control more table quarters with fortitude
Bonus Point – Have your marker in opponent’s deployment zone
Deployment – Battle Line
Man of Intrigue – Causes march block on friendly units
Objective Marker – worth 2 fortitude
Table Sides – Least fortitude chooses
Go First – Normal

The Board:
1 6” or so impassible terrain in the center
Ice – 90% of the board was ice, all but the corners. Ice didn’t allow for rerolls on march blocking
Forests – No rules and we never went in them to have to decide if they needed a mysterious roll.

When I was planning my list and reviewing everything, I had decided that this second mission was my mission. I came to the table with 7 fortitude, 4 on fast cavalry and 3 in flying characters. When I saw my opponent walk up (before even knowing his list), I had to walk away to keep from jumping for joy in front of my opponent. He had 5 fortitude starting, 4 of which were in the chosen unit and 1 in the Khorn, and only a wizard and 1 unit of fast cavarly to challenge my board dominance.

I deployed one unit of fast cavalry on the right side of the board, my characters behind the impassible, the hydras both to the right of the impassible, but close enough to swing to the left, the MOI unit on the far right, away from my army and the rest in the rightish side.

He split his army, with the Khorn coming up on my strong side and the rest on the left. His first roll on the table gave the Chosen +1 Toughness.

I vanguarded my MOI up the side line, and then (going first), boosted him 18” more down the board to be already in his deployment zone. I took out his fast cavalry with shooting and death snipped his caster. At this point I knew I had the game, as I could contest whatever quarter the khorn were in, and take the other two. This would allow me to ignore his chosen-star. But we kept playing.

He moved up it all up 8 on his first turn and gave his chosen-star both +3 wardsave and MR 3 (i.e., 2+ versus my death magic). Now I was defiantly not going to bother with the chosen-star, and would just pick off any characters that came out.

My turn 2 and I didn’t do much. Some shooting, conserving my death caster, though some metal magic at the khorn unit. I dropped my objective in the deep corner on the right flank; ensure that he wouldn’t be able to get to it before turn 6. His turn 2 and he moved up some more.

My turn 3 and I was primed to triple charge his khorn unit with both hydras and the bsb. I was feeling a little bad that he wasn’t rolling any dice but armor saves, and offered to make the charge so we could roll some dice. He told me to do what was strategically best for me. So instead of charging I just moved up both hydras to optimal distanced (placed so that he could wheel and only charge once, but would have to charge both), and dropped the bsb on the flank. I dropped the unit to 7 after shooting and magic that turn. His turn 3 and he charged both hydras did one unit to each and then his unit died.

30 minutes in and after turn 3 he conceded. I offered to keep playing since we had so much time, but indicated that none of my fortitude would get anywhere near him unless he popped characters out but that I would shove some hydras into the chosen so we could see how it resulted (4+ armor, 3+ ward, T5 chosen). He declined and we ended the game. I was concerned due to his dower attitude, but I checked in with him during the next three rounds and it seems that was just his way.

So two games down and full points.







No comments:

Post a Comment