Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Round 3 – Jesse Thomas – Vampire Counts

As a reminder my list can be found here:

http://theverminlord.blogspot.com/2013/01/eshin-scouting-party.html?m=1

Jesse was part of Club Autobreak. Thy had decided they would offer a contest of their own. 7 of their members (and I think they brought 10) all played the exact same list. Their contest was to offer a prize to the person who killed the most zombies, and they brought a lot of zombies. I was concerned for vampires, as my testing against terrorgeists had not gone well (though I was playing down 250 points and lost by less than that).

Strigoi Ghoul King, General, Dragon Bane Gem, Potion of Strength, Skabscrath, Flying Horror, Red Fury, Level 1 Vampire
Vampire, BSB, Level 1 Vampire, Lance, heavy armor, shield, aura of dark majesty, hellstead
Necromancer, Level 1 lore of vampires, Scepter of Stability
Necromancer, Level 1 lore of vampires, Dispel Scroll
Cairn Wraith
5 units of 30 zombies
3 Vargheists, champion
2 Fellbats
2 Terrorgeists

Mission #3:
Victory Condition – None – Each player earned points independent of opponent based on victory points scored
Bonus Point – Sing 3 times (singing boosted casting and/or dispelling)
Deployment – Meeting Engagement
Man of Intrigue – The unit that triggers singing
Objective Marker – Nothing
Table Sides – Least facial hair chooses (and deploys first)
Go First – Normal

The Board:
1 level 1 building that granted bonus to GOOD armies (therefore N/A)
River – Ice river going across at the same angle of our center line. Ice didn’t allow for rerolls on march blocking
1 level 3 building
Both buildings were basically along the center line (at the same angle), leaving two open deployment zones and a center line broken into 3 sections.

So looking at the mission now, and thinking back, I think Jesse and I made an error. I clearly remember setting up my army first and going first – but I don’t remember him having more facile hair than me. Well, either way, I deployed my entire army first. Before I did though I rolled to see what wouldn’t deploy and rolled 1s for all three of my characters and a hydra. I wasn’t happy, but I think it actually worked out for the best.

I deployed my fast cavalry on the line, with the single hydra just over 28 inches from his line; so that he couldn’t jump out and scream at me turn 1.

I thought he had this mission easily. If I was playing his army I would have easily crush me. But back to rule 1 of my list – I win because people don’t know what to do. He deployed his blocks all in a line, on the line, 5 wide (he rolled a 1 on a terrorgeist, a necromancer and the fell bats and left me plenty of space behind for my shades). He put the one terrorgeist in the middle of the line and the vargeists on my right flank. If I were him, I would have strung those blocks out, one of my right, two in the center and two on the left. That would have blocked out all the space. Use the flyers, behind the zombies to nab anything that jumps over and then slowly push me back with the blocks. By turn 6 he’d have me pinned in the corner and it would be game over. If I managed to push into a zombie unit with the hydras the screams would decimate them. But he didn’t and that made a much better game for me out of it.

My vanguard was to pull back with all by the one on the left that could move around the small building.

I went first, move my general within 24 of the terrorgeist and the hydra just outside 28 behind. Shades came up behind and the shooters moved within range (if they weren’t) of either the terrorgeist or the vargeists. Managed to put 2 wounds on him and kill a vargeist. On his turn 1 the necromancer moves up to hide in a unit, the bats join the vargiests (who move up) and the terrorgeist comes on the back, with his buddy moving back so that each can tag a unit of shades. His general flies out with the BSB to -1 Leadership scream at my lord. He kills 2 shades in one unit that’s wounded and 4 in the other. The general rolls double 1s and my lord lives.

My turn two and a unit of fast cavalry hid behind the vargeists and I bail on that flank otherwise. My general moves out of line of site of his general. One unit of fast cavalry moves into the hole made by terrorgeist in his line and the other two move to shoot the general. The hydra kills the bsb in combat, lord death snipes full terrorgeist and shooting puts 3 more wounds on terrorgeist leaving him with 1. With shooting I put a wound on the general.

On his turn two the general counter chargers and kills the hydra, using his potion to get through the -1 Strength I put on him. The hydra with 1 wound charges and kills the 4 shades and the vargeists and bats pin my fast cavalry in the corner.

Turn 3 I kill his general with shooting, along with the last terrorgeist. Wipe out the vargeists as well. The general dying dropped the bats to 1 model and killed some zombies. So after turn 3 I’ve killed everything but the zombies, 1 bat and the two necromancers…. Basically everything that could hurt me was dead turn 3. I’ve also made my 1200 points and it latterly doesn’t matter what happens for the rest of the game as I’ve sung my three songs for bonus point. I’ve lost just over 200 points. From then on I’m focused on killing zombies no matter the risk – the bonus being my opponent is getting some battle points as well.

As the game doesn’t matter, I’ll skip to all but the fun part. I rolled 11 dice, without a miscast to launch a large purple sun, which I roll a 10 on and drive through all 5 zombie units. I pick up 89 zombies, kill the last hydra and one dark rider… yup, 95 wounds. It was awesome. I managed to get my opponent 777 points dead, for 2 battle points (plus his objective, giving him a 3). I killed almost 200 zombies, but I started too late in the game and killed them too fast for him to resurrect them back up and as I never saw another of the contest I didn’t stand a chance. [Note – there was also a prize for least killed, but I couldn’t have even tried for that – one opponent conceded when his caster ran off the table turn 1 and didn’t kill any. If I were them I wouldn’t count a concession, but it was there game and they did].

So end of day 1 and I was maxed at 12 battle points – and full sports (yay!). Things were looking good going into Day 2.

The evening activities consisted of the facial hair contest, which for me was standing around and doing nothing for a sports point (yay points!). Than I was dragged out of my room to play in a doubles game, but my brain was so toast at that point, that it wasn’t any fun. Things didn’t go well for Hengl and me.





No comments:

Post a Comment