Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013 End of Year Wrap Up

So in doing this blog I have gained a lot of respect for those who did it before me.  It sure does take a lot of time to do a battle report, even one to the low standards I make it to.  I figure I spend at least 4-5 hours writing about the 5 games, more if you consider lists, missions and the other posts I do for each event.  Phew.

The hobby posts are much easier.  Most of that time is spent doing the actual hobbying, which I would be doing anyways.  Then it’s just a few snaps with my phone on my desk (no fancy light box, real camera BS here) and a few minutes to provide context, usually while watching TV before bed (since I do most of my hobbying at night).

What I’ve found the hardest is time.  I want to post the missions and lists and what not near when the event occurs, and yet I may spend the three to six months before doing all the hobby work for it.  I early debated just saving the hobby posts and fitting them in around the event between the tactical posts and the battle reports.  After a few months though, I already had a big backlog of posts, and with the exception of two weeks of dry period (which was only dry because I had to cancel a trip to a tournament) the back log was constant.  It’s crazy looking back.  Like after Adepticon, I pushed those battle reports out really fast, and then a month later they were still posting while everything else I had done was just waiting.  So in the end I decided to drop the hobby posts in as I was doing them, even if it mean that there were gaps in the story or it came off out of order.  I figure no one reads it anyways.

I still haven’t done any promoting of this site, and probably won’t.  I did add it to my signature the few times I post on the skaven forum website, and I haven’t hidden it – telling my opponents or anyone else who has asked.  What I haven’t done is signed up for any of the reposting sites, like the BOLS list.  Maybe I will… there were a few times where I almost did.

2014 will probably see a few less games.  2013 I got in 60+ games. 2014 I will probably come in closer to 50.  I decided that I will not be attending QCR in 2014 and I won’t be attending the CoCs – as I will be the new TO.  So less posts about games, and maybe a few posts about learning to run an event.  I will be attending Adepticon, and am signed up for 14 games.  SAWS is also a go, through I won’t be playing Chaos Dwarves as I’ve missed too many hobby days.  For Adepticon I will be taking High/Dark Elves, so I will probably end up picking one of those for SAWS.


Happy New Years.

2 comments:

  1. Bummer not to have you at QCR or CoC. When is signup for SAWs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No idea when signups for SAWS will be. It doesn't have the demand of QCR and they rarely sell out. I don't even think Mark (the TO) has contacted Gary (shop owner) about setting a date yet. If I see Mark I will make sure to ask as I want to know as well.

    I don't think missing QCR will be a big deal, and they usually have no shows, so if I really want to play I can always just drive in on saturday. I may submit a list by deadline to allow myself the option. Who knows, its a long way off from now.

    As to not playing in the CoCs, its bad because we really need every player we can get, but I think its good as Sirus (former TO) was no longer enjoying it. He tried to get out of it for 2013 but his replacement was unsuccessful. I think it will be good to have a TO with specific interest in seeing the Fantasy event grow and succeed. Sirus did a great job and I hope that I can at least match him.

    ReplyDelete