Friday, December 20, 2013

North Star – Wrap-Up

Wow, that event was a blast.  With a solid 4-1 placement and my only losing being to the People’s Champion Mike Gerold I can’t really complain with how it turned out.  Came in 24th in the end, getting jumped by those damn painters.  But I’ve been working hard on that, so I’m hopeful that things will be improved in the future.  This event concluded my use of the old dark elf book, and I have to say a 31/11/1 record isn’t that bad for a year’s effort (that’s an over 70% win record).

The event was smoothly run, including the posting of pairings on their website (with notice on Twitter) before each round.  I even could have found out my pairing the night before if I had known at the time.

I think the best thing about this event were my opponents.  Only one of my games even ranked as “Average,” and after talking to the guy the next day I think it was just due to his disappointment in the way the game was going and even then only because it went so bad so fast.  I don’t know what he gave me for sports, but I have to say, I really felt bad after the game for the way he went down.  That I think is the plus of the 100 or nothing system, but then my pulling back and ending the game early by running away is the downside of the 100 or nothing system.  Either way a great time.  To contrast, at the same time a bunch of the Cali guys were playing at The Alamo, a Texas event.  A friend of mine there told me that due to his opponent’s slow playing he only got 10 turns in the first three games on day 1.  Makes me glad I went to North Star and will keep me going back.  The Midwest guys are just that much better to play (always exceptions on both cases… I’ve met a few great Texas guys).

Dark Elves (OLD) – 31w/11l/1d
Ogres – 2w/3l/0d
Skaven – 6w/7l/1d

Singles – 31w/18l/2d
Doubles – 8w/3l/0d


Overall – 39w/21l/2d

No comments:

Post a Comment