Sunday, December 8, 2013

North Star – Round 2 – Bruce Romanick – Orcs & Goblins

Hammer Storm!
Deployment: Blood and Glory
Special Rules: Hammer Storm – Any wizard can add D3 Power or Dispel dice and the unit (or wizard if solo) takes D6 S5 hits.
Major Objective: Break your opponent
Minor Objective: Kill a channeling model

The List
Skarsnick, General

Goblin Big Boss, BSB, Spider banner, shield
Goblin Big Boss, shrieking blade, dragonbane gem, charmed shield, light armor, giant wolf
Night Goblin Big Boss, iron curse icon, great weapon
Night Goblin Big Boss, great weapon
Night Goblin Shaman, Level 2, dispel scroll
Night Goblin Shaman, Level 2, scroll of shielding

60 Night Goblins, musician, banner, 3 fanatics
29 Night Goblins, musician, banner, 3 fanatics
5 Goblin wolf riders, musician, banner

6 Trolls
2 Trolls
Spear Chukka
Spear Chukka

Arachnarok Spider
Mangler
Mangler
Doom Diver


This list put a little fear into me.  I knew there were a few things in there that could really mess up my day.  6 Fanatics, 2 Manglers, the Doom diver and the unit of 60.  While the event was secret lists, I had zero doubt that the BSB was not in Skarsnick’s unit but in the large unit for any other reason besides giving all those bows poison.


Magic
I rolled Searing doom and enchanted blades on my metal wizard (basically worthless) and spirit leech, caress, soul blight and purple sun on my death wizard.

Having 2 level 2s, Bruce rolled gift of the spider g-d and itchy nuisance on one wizard and vindictive glare and gork will fix it on the other.


Terrain

This table was very open with the pillars just impassible terrain and the rocky areas as forests with hard cover.  The center item was a nehekharan spyynix.  With a successful initiative test a character could gain a bonus for the rest of the game… Devastating charge, Heroic Killing Blow or if a wizard Loremaster of Death.  Great powers… but it required you to be there at the beginning of your turn, which never came up.  Failing the test mean taking a wound.



Deployment
First thing is Skarsnick.  Skarsnick prevents one of my units from deploying on a roll of 6.  The judge ruled that unlike meeting engagement, this didn’t hit characters separately (no good to me) but it also did hit scouts.

I rolled restricted deployment on 1 dark rider unit, my BSB and the level 2.

For deployment, I did my normal standard spread, weighted right as he was weighted right.  Bruce put his spider out by itself on the left flank and clustered the rest in the center/right.  I put my shades on the left to start plinking the spider and vanguarded aggressively to try to get to the warmachines.

I did put a hydra on the other side of the sphinx so that it could be the closest to Skarsnick unit, but still have the terrain between to trigger and protect against fanatics should Bruce decide to be aggressive.


I got the first turn.



Turn 1 – Dark Elves
I start off with a long charge by a hydra at his wolf character.  I don’t expect to get to him should he hold, but terror is a wonderful thing.  The harpies then recharge, passing him through the left bolt thrower.  The bolt thrower fails its test but the wolf rider stops at the board edge and I can’t recharge him.

The dark riders on the right move up and trigger the fanatics.  He moves 1 into the center and puts the other two at the dark riders, but rolls short.  I then back off.

I roll a 7/5 magic phase.  I start out of a 3D spirit leech on his BSB, which he scrolls.  I then PoD for +4 (11/5).  I 3D caress on his bsb, killing him.  I 1D soulblight on the trolls but fail.


The dark riders only manage to shoot one wolf rider.  I do manage to put 4 wounds on the spider, even the assassin only rolls 1s to hit and wound.

Turn 1 – Orcs & Goblins
Bruce starts off the turn with Skarsnick failing his animosity, moving up, launching fanatics and then charging a hydra, hitting its own fanatic on the way in.  The other two create a cluster in the center.

The damn wolf rider rallies at the table edge (this will cost be greatly!... uh, spoiler?)

Bruce rolls a 10/6 magic phase after calling down the hammer for 3 dice and not taking any wounds.  He starts with a 4D gork will fix it into the combat, which scroll.  I then allow itchy nuisance to drop the handlers and hydra to initiative 1.  I then dispel poison.

The only Bolt thrower able to shoot misfires to no effect.  The doom diver then misfires losing the next turn… so nothing from shooting.

In combat, he passes his fear (Skarsnick is leadership 8!).  He then does 3 wounds from his character (S6!).  I then kill 14 and he passes his leadership with steadfast.




Turn 2 – Dark Elves
I gear up for the knock out punch, charging a unit of dark riders into a bolt thrower (lol).  I pop my egg and then put my BSB into the combat.

A unit of harpies jumps on a mangler.

For my magic I rolled up 4/3 (he hammers for 1, killing 6 goblins).  I irresistible spirit leech on his little caster.  I kill him and get 1 die back.  I then get sucked into the warp.  He dispels searing doom.

In shooting I manage to kill 1 more wolf rider, which passes its test.  I then knock the charmed shield off the wolf rider and cause a wound.  My assassin shows up and I put 3 more wounds onto the spider (1 left).


In combat, my BSB, after rolling a 1 on the charmed shield takes 4 wounds.  Luckily I save 2 and he doesn’t die.  I manage to break steadfast.  My BSB then chases onto a fanatic (oops).  My dark rider does 2 wounds to the bolt thrower, which dies.  The big unit panics, running towards center along the board edge (hits a fanatic).  I over run my dark rider off the table so the mangler doesn’t turn around and kill me.


Turn 2 – Orcs & Goblins
With Skarsnick dead, both troll units fail their stupidity.

The wolf rider flanks the unit of shades.  The mangler hits the BSB, which had miraculously lived through fanatic, and through into the hydra.  It does 10 wounds to each, killing the BSB but not wounding the hydra.  The big block doesn’t rally, going to the left corner and losing 6 to dangerous terrain.  The hydra flees.

He has not magic phase as only wizard left is fleeing.

The bolt thrower misses the hydra.

The assassin and shade fail to do the last wound to the goblin, who makes all his 6+ saves (3 of them!).  I then lose the combat and get run down – and he overruns into the flank of a unit of dark riders… and with the spider having 1 wound left!




Turn 3 – Dark Elves
The harpies charge the doom diver and a unit of dark riders charges the bolt thrower to clear out the warmachines.  Unfortunately, I didn’t have anything in position to charge the big block off the table, but who could have planned for that?

The hydra rallies.

The dark riders fail to wound the wolf riders, but do manage to take off the spider.


Both warmachines die in combat.  My dark riders fail to wound the wolf, which does 1 wound.  He wins combat, but fails to catch me.




Turn 3 – Orcs & Goblins
The big unit rallies and the goblin rider catches the dark rider unit.  The small unit of trolls fails stupidity.  The large unit passes but just turns around.

I fanatic kills itself.


He doesn’t take a magic phase.



Turn 4 – Dark Elves
The hydra charges the small troll unit.

I roll an 11/6 magic phase.  The 3D searing doom the wolf unit to kill them.  He dispels enchanted blades on the hydra.

I gun down the wolf rider.  I put 1 wound on the last mangler but have nothing else I can shoot, having lost my left flank to that wolf rider.


The hydra kills the trolls.  I rolled a 12 on my breath weapon.



Turn 4 – Orcs & Goblins
His big block fails animosity.  The trolls go stupid again.  He tries to charge the harpies, but I flee to safety.  The rest of his army is auto pilot.  The mangler hits the trolls, doing 4 wounds. 



Turn 5 – Dark Elves
The harpies rally.  The dark riders put 2 wounds on the trolls. 



Turn 5 – Orcs & Goblins

The trolls again fail stupid, and run onto the mangler, killing it and taking 3 more wounds.  he passes animosity and another fanatic kills itself.  He puts out 23 shots, but only gets 6 hits and 1 wound (which I save).



Turn 6 – Dark Elves

Hydra goes into the flank of the trolls, joined by a unit of dark riders into the rear.  I do 4 wounds total, and he makes his saves.  He then kills 4 dark riders but still breaks to static combat and gets run down.



Turn 6 – Orcs & Goblins
Final turn, lots to do (just the big block left) and what happens?  He fails his animosity again… but has nothing to even declare a charge against and the game ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment