Thursday, December 5, 2013

North Star – Round 1 – Mike Gerold – Warriors of Chaos

Hammer Time!
Deployment: Dawn Attack
Special Rules: Units and Characters with fortitude do not role for deployment.
Major Objective: Destroying (not on table) 4 core units, or all if less than 4.
Minor Objective: Destroying 3 heroes, or all if less than 3.





The List
Sorcerer, General, Level 4, Lore of Death, Mark of Nurgle, Talisman of Endurance, Dragonhelm, Crown of Command, Dispel Scroll, Scaled Skin, Nurgles Rot

Exalted Hero, BSB, Mark of Tzeentch, Great Weapon, Talisman of Preservation, Charmed Shield, Soul Feeder, 3rd Eye of Tzeentch, Daemonic Mount, Barding

18 Warriors, full command, mark of nurgle, halberds, shields, standard of discipline
5 Chaos Hounds
5 Chaos Hounds
5 Chaos Hounds
Chaos Chariot

Gorebeast Chariot
Gorebeast Chariot
5 Hellstriders of Slannash, hellscourges, standard

3 Skullcrushers, music, banner, ensorcelled weapons, banner of swiftness
3 Skullcrushers, music, banner, ensorcelled weapons, gleaming pennant


This list was not a great match up for me.  Nothing really to hurt me but the death caster, but not a long of easy points to pick up.  My smart play would be to keep my characters and hydras away from his death caster and just pick up a few points for a small win… but didn’t sound like fun for either of us.


Magic
For magic I rolled up Final Transmutation and Searing doom on my metal wizard and spirit leech, caress, doom and darkness and purple sun on my death wizard.


Mike rolled up Spirit leech, caress, fate and doom on his death wizard.


Terrain
The board we were deployed on included lots of little rivers and three big puddles built in.  This was initially a cause for concern as rivers would prevent my marching.  But after reading the rules for the table, I discovered that the rivers got to be ignores.  The ponds on the other hand would cause D6 wounds to units who failed an initiative test if at the end of the movement phase the majority of the units models were completely in the water.  This actually made it fairly easy to get around, as my characters and hydra just needed to clip the edge to ignore the rule.

The forests included an additional rule that allowed for them to completely block line of sight.  It actually said if inside the forest, but it didn’t make sense to say that I could see you beyond the forest, but not in the forest, so we agreed that it blocked everything.  The forests were also limitedly mysterious.


The center of the table included a Gateway, which at the start of each magic phase would cause a magical effect to be target on the closest unit.  There are both good and bad things on the list.




Deployment
I get the chance to take first deployment, and spread my army along the front line.  Everything that rolled got placed in the center except a unit of harpies, which placed as far center as I could.

We roll on the right forest, since I deployed in it, and its normal.

Mike managed to roll 2s for his entire core, and center for the two gorebeasts, so he put the entire army bubbled into the corner.  Both Mike and I felt like this was a good thing for me, and it probably was and would have been even better if his list wasn’t such a bad match up for mine.  Mike was smart and put the dog units into the far back corner.

I scouted my gutter runners to try to take out the gorebeast chariots and vanguarded up to get into firing positions.


Mike did not roll a 6 to steal the first turn, not that it would have mattered much – and may have even been better for me.



Turn 1 – Dark Elves
Going first, I of course had no charges, but just moved into shooting range as much as possible.  I did trigger the center forest to find out it was a wildwood.

I rolled a 12/7 magic phase and the portal soul blighted a dark rider unit.  I used 3 dice to spirit leech the BSB (at this point I thought he was khorn on a jug since he was modeled like the other jugs – turned out he was the 3++ reroll dude).  I didn’t matter as I didn’t roll high ehough to cause a wound.  I then 3D caress on the guy.  I roll a 2D PoD with my death wizard for +4 dice (16/7).  I then put the 4 into a purple sun, which doesn’t do anything but block up.  I then 2D Pod with the metal wizard, but its dispelled.  I then 2D searing doom which is also dispelled.

In shooting his high toughness, great armor pays off and I only put 1 wound on the core chariot and 2 onto a gorebeast.  My caster, trying to pick off a dog unit manages to roll 2 1s to hit and a 2 to wound.



Turn 1 – Warriors of Chaos
Mike never does move much, but he does stretch out a little to space out the dogs.  He triggers the last forest, which is also normal.


Mike rolls a 7/5 magic phase, and again the portal soul blights my dark rider unit.  Mike rolls 3 for spirit leech which I dispel and he fails caress.  The purple sun moves back towards me and I let it end.


Turn 2 – Dark Elves
No surprise, I have no charges this turn.  I move around to stay in shooting range but not give up charges.  I consider moving my hydras and characters outside 32 inches to neuter his magic and any ability to affect me at all – but that’s not fun, even if it does get me a 11/9 win against one of the best guys in the country.  I do move back though to force him to move out if he wants to get into range – stretching his lines so I can squeeze a unit into the back to each soft innards.

I roll a mighty 3/2 magic phase, and the portal knocks an armor save off a dark rider unit.  I 2D PoD for metal caster which he dispelled.  I then throw the last for the level 4, getting 4 dice (7/2).  I 4D spirit leech on the BSB, doing a wound (this is where I find out that it was actually a dude on a demonic mount with a 3++ as he makes his save).


My shooting doesn’t even cause a wound.



Turn 2 – Warriors of Chaos
Mike has no charges and continues to stretch his bubble.

He rolls a 5/2 magic phase and the portal again knocks the armor save off a dark rider unit (leaving it with none).  He throws 3 dice to caress my level 4 and I scroll it.  He then throws 2 at spirit leech at my general.  I throw my 2 dice but fail to reroll.  He then rolls a 5, meaning I need a 3+ to not die.  I roll a 2.  I use my event reroll, but roll a 1.  The hydra next to him then panics, as does a unit of harpies.  Roll my distance and I’m putting harpies at the board edge and picking up not only my general but my hydra.


But at least I wasn’t a dick and hid.  Just a loser ;).



Turn 3 – Dark Elves
Still no charges for me.  The harpies do rally though.  I continue to press the bubble.  I move up the shades to get the assassin onto the wounded gorebeast.  Plan was to quickly open up the line by killing one chariot in my turn and the other in his with stand and shoot followed up by my assassin striking first.  I’d lose some to impacts, but I should still have enough shades to kill dogs the other softness.

I roll an 8/6 magic phase.  The portal wildform a units of harpies.  He scrolls 8 dice final transmutation at his block of warriors.


My shooting does nothing… not even the assassin.  Suck.



Turn 3 – Warriors of Chaos
The wounded chariot charges the shades, and I put a wound on… just 1.  The other charges and the shades hold to not flee off the table.  The skullcrushers charge harpies, which hold.  The core chariot, needing an 11, charges dark riders, making the stand but failing the charge.  The others all get in.

Mike rolls up a 6/3 magic phase.  The portal fireballs his BSB, but he makes his saves.  I dispel a 3D spirit leech at a hydra.  He then caresses my BSB.  I fail my charmed shield and he does 2 wounds, getting 1 back.  He then puts Doom on my last hydra.


In combat, the harpies fail their fear and go pop.  Impact hits do 8 wounds to the shades.  My assassin kills the wounded chariot and then gets run down. 




Turn 4 – Dark Elves
I declare the second half the game to be my half (down 1000 points) and so I put in two charges to start the second half of the game.  The dark riders flank the dog unit and the hydra flanks the skull crushers.

I roll a 4/3 magic phase and the portal wildforms my hydra… yay.  I use my dice to dispel doom on the hydra.


The dark riders easily pop the dogs.  The one skullcrusher manages to just do 1 wound to the hydra.  My handlers do nothing and the hydra does 2.  He makes his saves but I win combat on static.  He holds but fails to reform on steadfast.


Turn 4 – Warriors of Chaos
Mike has no counter charges, and so after moving around he rolls a 10/6 magic phase.  The portal casts speed of light on the hydra.  I allow a 3D spirit leech (cast on a 14) on my BSB.  He rolls a 6 but I roll a 5 and so only take a wound.  He then puts caress on my BSB, which I fail to dispel.  I take off the BSB.


Having lost his frenzy, the skull crushers are forced to take a fear test – but they pass.  The hydra does 1 wound to break steadfast but he doesn’t break and turns to face… uhoh.


Turn 5 – Dark Elves
It’s my turn again, but I don’t have much to do.  I move around to try to maximize what has been very disappointing shooting.

I roll a 6/4 magic phase but he dispels my casting of final transmutation on the BSB.  The portal does soul blight my hydra…doh.  I also put 1 die into Power of Darkness for +4 dice (10/4).  I then Irresistible searing doom on the other crusher unit, doing 5 wounds.  I roll a 7 for no consequences.

My shooting blows off a unit of dogs, kills 2 hellstriders and has the core chariot passing his saves.


The skullcrushers again pass their fear test.  The hydra takes 2, does nothing and breaks.  I do get away though.


Turn 5 – Warriors of Chaos
The crushers charge and catch the fleeing hydra.  The hellstriders charge the front of a unit of dark riders.  The core chariot flanks a unit.

Having moved a unit of dark riders into the water last turn (and passing the test) to get into range of dogs, I now fail my test on a 6 and pick up the unit, leaving the hellstriders without their expected combat.

The magic phase is 6/4 and the portal soul blights his caster.  I deny caress and spirit leech does 1 wound to my level 2.


The dark riders lose 3 and hold against the chariot.


Turn 6 – Dark Elves
My turn 6 and I try to grab the points in my reach.  A dark rider unit rears the core chariot and my level 2 charges the solo general.

I’m thinking at this point that I can do a few wounds to the general and run him down.  I have 2 left and while he will hit on 3s and wound on 4s he shouldn’t be able to do 2 wounds to me.  I will then have 3 strength 5 attacks to try to take his test down a little more.  It was a good plan and would give me a big swing back towards parody.

I roll an 8/5 magic phase and then the portal wildforms my caster making him T5 with S6 attacks… yay.  I decide not to be over reaching with my magic and just chuck all 8 to final trans the BSB.  I miscast, and don’t see the 6 to kill him.  I then roll a 4 on the table, and while I thankfully don’t kill myself I do wound myself and his general.  My 2 wounds up is now 1… no longer looking so hot.

I kill the dogs off in shooting, leaving just the chariot between me and the bonus points.

I lose the unit that the chariot had charged, but kill the chariot from the rear and pick up the bonus points.  My wizard then dies… he only did 1 wound.  I realize now that while we were in challenge, he didn’t roll on his table and so the very slim change that he would kill himself to become either a spawn or a daemon price (and give up all points) was missed… oh well, would have been a dumb reason to not lose.

Having secured the win, Mike doesn’t bother with his last turn as there are no charges and nothing is worth the risk of sucking his caster into the warp.  He can make the block the closest unit so there isn’t a chance the fireball would pick something off for me.

In the end I was happy with the decision I made not to hide like a bi*ch and keep myself out the range of his death caster.  I could have just poured all my shooting into the three chariots at no risk to myself and gotten a small win, and that might be the only way I can beat that list – but I don’t want to be that guy and I felt and feel no shame in losing to Mike Gerald.  We shook hands and I wished him luck in taking the event (he got third).

No comments:

Post a Comment