Monday, June 10, 2013

Davis Doubles - Arrival


I think the best part of Alex’s 1600 point, 5 round doubles event is that it has it at his house.  It brings me back to when I was in high school, or younger, and we would do all night game sessions.  That is really what this event is.  Alex’s wife and daughters are out (at a Girl Scout thing I believe), and Alex is having his buddies over for hanging out, booze and of course warhammer.  Yes, there are prizes, and we pay a fee – which goes into the prizes and the food; but that is really secondary.  I really tried to take the weekend with that mindset.  In fact, I think I’m going to switch that mindset for SAWS, and perhaps QCR.  My stupid Skaven list is a good first step.  I’ll switch back over to tournament mode for Northstar in November.

Anyways, back to H3Doubles.  Alex had 6 tables set up, allowing the 4 games going on to move around and get a good variety.  Each of his tables is themed and painted to match.  He has lots of large, scenic pieces, that while not always the best for putting big blocks on do provide a great setting.  For this event, after a bunch of last minute drops, we managed to pull 8 teams.  So 16 people, which I think is a great size, even if technically too small for 5 rounds.  On the second day we did experience a bunch of issues due to the high rounds/low team ratio, where, for example, in round 4 we played a 0-3 team even though we were 2-3 (and spoiler, we lost…haha).  So perhaps that makes it better.  Almost wanted to do 4 rounds Saturday and 3 on Sunday to get the round robin experience.  With 9 am true start time, and half the people actually sleeping on site I think it would have been possible – perhaps if we shortened the rounds a bit and probably the points along with it.

In the 8 teams, 2.5 were Guns N’ Warpstone, 2 were leadership 2, 1 was Low Comp Crew and the 2.5 were BizarroHammer.  A little sprinkling of the bigger local tournament groups.

What I did notice is that there were lots of ogres.  I didn’t make a note at the time but as I recall the army pairings were:

Ogres/Lizards
Vampires/Vampires
Chaos Dwarves/Orcs
Ogres/Ogres
Ogres/Warriors
Skaven/Bretonnia
Ogres/High Elves
Wood Elves/ Ogres

So 3 teams without ogres, and 1 team with 2.

For missions, like his other events, Alex just uses the book missions with only 2 modified.  For Blood and Glory, each player has their own elimination count, which had us worried due to Chris only having 12 skinks or a general before removal.  For Watchtower Alex has changed it from auto win to 800 points.  At first I thought 800 points was huge, but these are 3200 point games, so it’s probably actually the correct number.

Enjoy…I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment