Friday, January 24, 2014

WaaaghPACA! – Warm-Up Event – The Missions

General Rules
The Man of Intrigue (MoI):  The man of intrigue is a token model, similar in idea to a crew model on a warmachine.  It’s really just a way of picking a unit at the beginning of the game for some special purpose, and doesn’t itself do anything in the game.  The model itself can be most anything you like, though no larger than a 50mm base can be used.

In a fortitude setting, the unit chosen always generates an additional fortitude equal to the rank bonus of the unit, up to a bonus of +3. NOTE: this rule doesn’t help me, and I’m hoping to use the phoenix to quickly remove this advantage from my opponent.


Controlling Terrain:  There is a note in the rule set about controlling terrain.  It should be noted that none of the missions specifically refer to this rule.  WaaaghPACA! has table specific terrain rules, and I expect that this rule will provide 100 bonus points for holding a specific forest on a specific table and will be very much subject to the randomness of table pairings.  Anyways, terrain can be claimed by having a model touching the terrain with no enemy model also touching the piece.  If the piece is impassible, its “area” is a 3” bubble around the piece.  NOTE: the very fast core will be responsible for this grab late in the game.

Round 1
Deployment: Battleline
Before the game starts each player marks 3 terrain pieces (face down) with 1, 2 or 4 points.  Slips can be revealed mid-game when you control the piece.
Man of Intrigue: No Additional Rules
Scenario Points: Control the terrain your opponent’s slips are attached to.
Objective (3): Control more points than your opponent.

This should be an easy mission, depending on the terrain.  I don’t have to worry about the survival of a good chunk of my army, needing just 3 units left which are fast enough to be where I need them to be.  They don’t’ even need fortitude.  To counter my opponent I just need to spread out his objectives as far as possible, and then pick off all his small units, forcing him to either pick a section of the field or spread out.  I don’t actually need to deny my opponent points, just 1 terrain piece so that I can get MORE points.


Round 2
Deployment: Battleline
Before the game starts each player may purchase points with fortitude (no MoI Bonus).  Abilities are assigned to your units, but only one per unit (some can be assigned to opponent’s units).  Cannot be given to characters, but characters gain the benefit while in unit.

2 Points
Armor Piercing
Flaming
Swifstride
Frenzy

1 Point
Terror
ITP
Strider (everything)
Sea Creature

Can Give to Opponent
ITP
Sea Creature
Flaming
Frenzy

Man of Intrigue: No Additional Rules
Scenario Points: Earn 2 points for each of the following:
Keeping General Alive
Keeping Highest Point Unit Alive
Killing General
Killing Highest Point Unit
Killing MoI
Objective (-): None

I think this sounds like a really interesting mission.  I think the best way to agree with my opponent is to do it blind.  I write down all my slips, pass them out to my units (while he does his) and then pass out to his as he passes out too mine and then flip them all at once.  Neither my dragon nor my general can be upgraded.

I will have 7 points to spend, and it’s really tempting to just spend 5 of those points giving all of my fast cavalry Terror and hoping that they don’t counter it by giving their army terror or ITP.  Them passing out Sea Creature to my army would really suck, as it would prevent me from marching.  That doesn’t stop me from doing the same thing myself, which might be better than just giving all of my fast cavalry Terror.  If flaming wasn’t 2 points, I would considering giving them flaming to upgrade my ward saves, and might should they have a practically dicey unit.  I don’t need to by swiftstride and won’t bother with frenzy (on either).  I won’t buy either ITP, won’t give myself Flaming or Strider.  I think my short list would be:

For myself
Armor Piercing (2 points)
Terror (1 point)

For them
Flaming (2 points)
Sea Creature (1 point)

With the ability to only give 1 upgrade per unit, I would give armor piercing to my phoenix and terror to my riders.  If they have any dragons, then I will be passing out flaming galore.  Smaller bow fire I probably won’t worry about.  Sea Creature for anything fast that I think could be used to counter my movement, especially as I expect they will be giving me sea creature.  Hehe… making all their cannons flaming when I have 4 fireborn models (phoenix – not rider and dragon mage – not dragon).


Round 3
Deployment: Blood and Glory
Break Point is 0
Man of Intrigue: No Additional Rules
Scenario Points: Earn 2 points for each of the following (cumulative):
Have 5 or more Fortitude left
Your opponent has 4 Fortitude left
Your opponent has 2 Fortitude left
Your opponent has 0 Fortitude left
Kill the MoI unit
Objective (-): None


For this mission I doubt I will be able to pick up the points on either end, but I will probably be able to put the pressure needed to take down the MoI unit.  It will basically be a normal stand up fight, just not worrying so much about getting points off the smaller stuff and won’t have to worry about losing my dragon and phoenix.

No comments:

Post a Comment