Saturday, April 19, 2014

Adepticon – It’s How You Use It AM – Round 1 – Ian Botts – Warriors of Chaos (Nurgle)

Ian is a nice guy, originally from England but immediately from Boston.  His wife was also present at the convention.  I believe she played in the doubles event and maybe another, but she slept through our event.  That was probably for the best, as I knew from walking up to the table that this was going to be a rough game for Ian.  My speedy list only gets better at lower points, as there is less to cover the table and Ian really didn’t have any way of reaching out and touching me.

Terrain:  All forests are mysterious.
Mine rolls Fungi and his rolls Blood.

Deployment: Dawn Attack

Special Rules
During Game Turn 1, each player will roll 3D6 at the beginning of their turn.  Their units may see the result x 3 inches for anything requiring Line of Sight.

Victory Condition
Most Core units inside the Box (18” square centered on the table).  If no core units in box, use normal 100 point standard.

Bonus Points
+1 For each unit with a banner inside (even partially) the box at the end of the game, up to a maximum of +3.
+1 for each enemy Core unit destroyed or fled off the field, but to a maximum of +2 points.
(Plus 1-3-5 Points for 1-2-3 Terrain pieces under control.)


My focus for the game would be on the warrior unit.  If I took that out, I would reach my  one bonus point.  Beyond that I didn’t need to deny him his bonus for being in the terrain, and with only the one core unit I couldn’t lose the game (though Ian could force it to go to points if I didn’t get a unit into the center).


The List
Festus

15 Warriors of Chaos of Nurgle, full command, standard of discipline

15 Chosen of Nurgle, full command
Chaos Warshrine, mark of nurgle

I found it interesting that even with the Warshrine, Ian hadn’t brought a daemon price or spawn model.  Summoning a prince at 1000 points would have been awesome for him in any game.  Ian indicated they weren’t painted to his standard and so he hadn’t brought them.

Magic
For spells Festus would pick up a breath weapon and giving his unit poison.

Deployment
We roll and I get to deploy first.  I spread my army out wide, knowing that my speed and vanguard will get me where ever I need to be.  Ian puts a unit on each side of the box, with the warshrine and festus joining the chosen.  I’m sure his goal is to try to pinch me out of the box, while keeping his warriors alive.

We roll off and I pick up the first turn.  Not great for me, as last turn box grab would mean I wouldn’t actually have to interact to get a win without bonus (which makes for a silly game).

The chosen pick up +1S to start the game.




Turn 1 – Dark Elves
I move up, getting ready to focus on the warriors.

I roll a 7/6 magic phase, and fail a 2D soul blight on the warriors.


Shooting only kills 2 guys… ugh.



Turn 1 – Warriors of Chaos
The warriors go to swift reform and reveal their standard of discipline.

Ian rolls a 6/5 magic phase.  He 6D into the warshrine and gives both the champion and Festus
+1WS.



Turn 2 – Dark Elves
Move movement.

A 9/6 magic phase gives me a 3D SB on the warriors which Ian fails to dispel.  I then fail a 6D large DB on the warriors.

My shooting kills 4 more warriors and Ian passes panic.




Turn 2 – Warriors of Chaos
The warriors, now surrounded, choose not to take the long change that would put them in the worst position.  They then choose the best facing given that they are going to get a flank or rear next turn.

A 7/6 magic phase sees Festus getting +1A.




Turn 3 – Dark Elves
I charge the flank of the warriors.  Everything that isn’t needed for support moves to begin shooting the chosen.

A 9/5 magic phase has me irresistibly casting soulblight.  I pass my ward saves.

Even with the –T, my shooting only manages to kill 1 chosen.  Yay BSB shooting.

His champion challenges and my BSB accepts.  I kill and put 2 overkill on.  My general then kills 2 more (he makes 6s).  I lose 1 doom fire warlock.  He loses by 6, breaks and gets run down.




Turn 3 – Warriors of Chaos
Luckily for me the doom fire warlocks had overrun just short of risking a chosen charge.

A 4/2 magic phase gives champ +1A




Turn 4 – Dark Elves
I move up my doom fire warlocks in an attempt to turn the chosen.  Ian had blocked them so that they could see the entire center.  I could afford to lose the entire unit if it means I could sneak my 2 core units into the center.  It would mean a loss by points but win by overriding objective.

I roll a 12/6 magic phase.  6D irresistible soulblight costs me 2 doom fire warlocks.  I then 6D irresistible big doom bolt at the warshrine which does 3 wounds and costs me 2 more doom fire warlocks.

In shooting the first dark rider unit kills off the warshrine while the rest of my shooting doesn’t do anything.



Turn 4 – Warriors of Chaos
Managing to find an angle to cast his breath weapon that doesn’t involve turning away from the box, Ian holds his unit steady.

An 8/5 magic phase has me failing to dispel his stream, which does a wound to the BSB and kills another doom fire warlock.  He then poisons up in case I charge.




Turn 5 – Dark Elves
I don’t charge.

A 4/3 magic phase has a soul blight go off.  Shooting kills 5 chosen and the unit panics, running away from the box.





Turn 5 – Warriors of Chaos
While Ian rallies, he is now to far back to charge the back edge of the box on turn 6, so we wrap the game up with the understanding that I sneak in and take the win.

Game was fast, but didn’t yield me full points as Ian was missing some of things I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment