Monday, April 28, 2014

Adepticon – It’s How You Use It PM – Round 1 – Cory Burns - Dwarfs

Terrain:  All forests are mysterious.
Deployment: Meeting Engagement

Bonus Points
                  +1 point for every unit in your enemy’s deployment zone up to a maximum of +5 points.
(Plus 1-3-5 Points for 1-2-3 Terrain pieces under control.)


The List
Runepriest, rune of stone, shield, rune of spellbreaking
Thane, BSB, Rune of stone, shield

28 Longbeards, musician, standard, rune of stoicism, shields

gyrocopter
gyrocopter
gyrocopter
Cannon, rune of forging, rune of burning


Gotta say, love the list.  Something along the lines of what I was thinking should I ever play dwarves (I won’t).  Cory rolled hatred for his entire army.


Deployment
Thanks to the Mission I got to deploy my entire army first.  I deployed to the center, along the front line with the building to the left of my line.

Cory, being a tactical genius (no sarcasm) actually didn’t deploy in the back corner, but instead on the left side near the front line, using the building as a shield and getting a flank shot on units with his cannon should he steal the first turn.  Quite unexpected and quickly put me in my place, reminding me that for the last year and a half I’ve been playing a very mobile army and that I might be rusty in other aspects of the game.

Cory would then roll that 6 and snatch the first turn.



Turn 1 – Dwarves
The first thing Cory does is jump his dwarves into the building.  Going to be tough to root out.  The gyros move around me.  The cannon takes a shot at my knights, but due to poor misfire and taking the iron curse icon I get away free.



Turn 1 – Empire
I turn to face my knights at the cannon and gyros.  I have no intention to going after the gyros, but this at least makes him move them.  I do know that if I don’t kill the cannon it will kill me, so I might as well take it out.  The tank turns towards the gyros and building.  The chickens start to move up to the building, taking their flank away from the cannon and starting the run around.

My shooting goes into the building as I can’t shoot easily past my knights.  I kill 1 dwarf.  Go first blood!



Turn 2 – Dwarves
The gyros move to start spraying.  I lose 4 knights to horrible rolls and the chicks take 2 wounds.



Turn 2 – Empire
Ignoring the flyers I know I can’t catch, the knights speed off towards the cannon.  I don’t move full distance as going into the forest insures 2 sets of tests (going in and charging out), but I’m close enough to make the charge with the Steel standard if I stay out and then only need to make 1 set of tests.

My cannon, going after 2 lined up gyros rolls a misfire and does nothing.



Turn 3 – Dwarves
The warriors come out into the face of the chicken knights.

The knights get bombed and lose another of their fellows.  The cannon misfires and I make the rest of my armor saves.



Turn 3 – Empire
Knights charge the cannon.  Chickens charge the warriors.

I kill the cannon and go off the table.  The chickens kill 4 dwarves and take 3 wounds.  I lose combat but escape.



Turn 4 – Dwarves
The warriors charge the chickens, which flee and redirect into the steam tank.

In combat the steam tank takes 2 wounds and the engineer kills a dwarf.


Turn 4 – Empire
I grind and kill 1 dwarf.  The chickens rally.

The steam tank kills 3 dwarves with the steam gun.

Turn 5 – Dwarves
I lose a chicken to more bombs.  I lose another knight and take a wound on the arch lector with the last bomb.

Turn 5 – Empire
Knowing that turning to go after the gyros chasing the knights is pointless, I move forward to claim the objective points.  To defend myself I use my 5/3 magic phase to put reroll wounds on the knights.  He dispels the wardsave.

In combat, the steam tank kills 1 dwarf.
  
Turn 6 – Dwarves
He charges his gyro into the last chicken.  I do 1 wound but still flee.  I escape.

Turn 6 – Empire
My unit breaks up, giving me 3 units in his deployment zone.  The chicken rallies, giving me a fourth.

This game was super-fast and super uneventful.  In the end I win because the cannon had runes that put it over 100 points and otherwise nothing died.  I think my opponent was very disappointed in the end, which was unfortunate.

No comments:

Post a Comment