Friday, April 25, 2014

Adepticon – It’s How You Use It AM– Round 3 – Ryan Nicol – High Elves

And for my last match up I get another Twisted Troop member (club mate with Jake Murphy).  Ryan and and I had played before, back in 2013 WaaaghPACA when he was ranked 1 in the country according to RankingsHQ.  The pairings were done by overall RankingsHQ ranking.  At the time I was ranked 2nd in the counter (which was a joke).  Last time I came away successful, but I didn’t have any monsters this time and Ryan had a lot of shooting.

I didn’t know for sure, but I also strongly suspected there was a Banner of the World Dragon in the sword masters, which would make taking them out hard with my characters both holding magic weapons.

Terrain:  All forests are mysterious.
Ryan rolled blood forest and I rolled fungus.  The center forest would be revealed to be a venom thicket.

Deployment: Blood & Glory

Bonus Points
+1 For each fortitude in the box, up to a maximum of +5.
(Plus 1-3-5 Points for 1-2-3 Terrain pieces under control.)



The List
Loremaster, dragonhelm, golden crown of atrazar

12 archers, musician, banner
11 archers, musician, banner

20 swordmasters, full command, banner of the world dragon

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower




Deployment
Ryan spread out along the center, archers on each side flanking the sword masters.  The bolt throwers were likewise spread out.  I knew he wanted to keep his three units in striking distance of the center box and so couldn’t afford to bunker in a corner.  This left his flanks open to vanguarding.

I deployed my army spread out.  I put the bunker in the center in the hopes it would draw his attention while my dark riders moved around the sides and cleaned up his shooting.  I did put the bolt throwers on the line as I expected them to remain untouched and wanted them to get into short range as soon as possible, knowing that Ryan would have to move up to claim the box.

Again, I didn’t get the first turn.  Again, I didn’t like that as I felt with the match up; going first was a big advantage.  At least this time I had the advantage of speed.




Turn 1 – High Elves
Ryan began his crawl forward.

Rolling a 9/5 magic phase, he opens with a 6D large fireball at the warlocks.  He irresistibles, only killing 1 and only losing 1 die (8/5).  A 2D miasma is dispelled.

His shooting kills 2 DRs on the right and 2 more warlocks.




Turn 1 – Dark Elves
My dark riders, in position from vanguarding charge.  On the left I charge the bolt tower and on the right I charge the archers (losing 1 to the trees).  My warlocks charge the left archers, but fails.

An 8/6 magic phase has me starting with a 3D soul blight on the sword masters, which is dispelled.  I then 4D doom bolt on the left archers, killing 4.

Shooting kills 3 sword masters.

Combat kills the left bolt thrower and 4 archers, which hold.  The bolt thrower dying panics the archers.




Turn 2 – High Elves
Embattled on both sides and with my bunker in the center, the sword masters make the hard call and charge the warlocks.  I flee, and lose a warlock to the forest.

The archers rally.

A 4/3 magic phase has a 4D fireball does 1 wound to the BSB and kills 1 warlock.

Shooting, now down to just a bolt thrower is ineffective.

In combat I kill 3 more archers and run the unit down.




Turn 2 – Dark Elves
I charge the last bolt thrower.  My warlocks rally.

I roll a stupid 12/6 magic phase.  I roll a 6D soulblight which is dispelled.  Out of range for the doom bolt.

My dark riders kill 2 archers and the bolt throwers kill 3 sword masters.

In combat the last bolt thrower falls.




Turn 3 – High Elves
Keeping his cool nicely, Ryan repositions and moves onto magic.  A 3D fireball from a 3/2 magic phase kills my BSB and another warlock.

The last archer unit doesn’t do anything.



Turn 3 – Dark Elves
My turn I put dark riders into the front of the archers, losing another to the forest.  Can’t charge again or else he will flee through my unit and escape.

I roll a 10/7 magic phase and irresistible a bubbled soulblight, killing off the last warlock and leaving my general stranded.

The soulblight does net me 7 sword masters in the shooting phase and 3 archers in combat (plus running them down).

The mission being fortitude, this leaves us both with a general, me with 2 banners and him with 1.  So Ryan needs to kill one unit and my general and I need to kill his general.  Points wise I’m way ahead, but that’s not the mission here.



Turn 4 – High Elves
Down to just a unit in the center, Ryan finds the best angle and moves onto magic.  A 6/4 magic phase has me allowing a medium fireball on a dark rider unit.  For my trouble I get to take the unit off.  I then fail to dispel the 3D searing doom on my general (did I mention he has a wound already… not sure I did).  For the game, Ryan rolls a 2 for hits… and a 1 on one of the wounds.

The game is now tied with 1 unit each and down to just caring about the generals.  Please note, I should have lost the game by now.



Turn 4 – Dark Elves
With only 1 goal left, kill that dang general I move and open fire.  I discover and remove the crown on the general.  I whittle the unit down to just 1 guy and a full wound general.

Not good… going to have to stop the searing doom.

 
Turn 5 – High Elves
With only one thing that matters, Ryan rolls a 5/4 magic phase and gets off searing doom.  I pick up my 4 dice, needing a high number without a wizard and roll the beautiful double 6, stopping the spell and me losing the game.

Again, should have lost right here.

Turn 5 – Dark Elves
I go to shooting, and roll the first bolt thrower at the unit, earning 6 hits.  Dividing the hits, I roll to wound the general first, killing him and ending the game.  Didn’t get the table, but that’s find as all it would have done was deny Ryan a bonus point to no benefit to myself.

Please note, I should have lost that game twice over and only through a very lucky series of dice did I win.  But I’ll take it.  Ryan is a great player and has now given me 2 close, good games where I’ve luckily come out ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment