Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Adepticon – It’s How You Use It AM– Round 2 – Jake Murphy – Dark Elves

This is my second time playing Jake.  The last time we played it was the last round of North Star, and the last game either of us would have with the old Dark Elf book.  Jake, already a dedicated Dark Elf player hadn’t gone to another army following North Star, meanwhile, this was only my third game with the new Dark Elves.  Based on how close we had been last time I know I was in for a good match.

Unfortunately for Jake, he and I had hung out the night before (that’s not the unfortunate part).  We had a beer (still not unfortunate) and talked about our lists (here we go…).  Jake had shared with me a little trick he had put into his list, obsidian blade on his death hag.  I had joked that I wouldn’t run my empire list in case I ran into him.  Honestly, I was already planning on running the dark elves first at that point, but I still felt bad.  I can’t recall if I had shared anything about my characters with him, but there wasn’t much to guess and nothing as key as ignoring armor.

Terrain:  All forests are mysterious.
My forest is a blood forest and his in venom.

Deployment: Battleline

Special Rules
Any core unit in the box gains stubborn (order), armor piercing (destruction) or hatred (non-aligned).  Obviously Armor Piercing for both of us.

Bonus Points
+1 for each enemy wizard destroyed up to a maximum of +2 points.  Any model that can channel will count (if ability to channel isn’t due to magic item)
+1 for each banner in your opponent’s deployment zone to a maximum of +3 points.
(Plus 1-3-5 Points for 1-2-3 Terrain pieces under control.)



The List
Death Hag, Obsidian Blade

20 Witch Elves, full command, standard of discipline
5 Dark Riders, banner, xbows, shield
5 Dark Riders, banner, xbows, shield

15 Executioners, full command
Reaper Bolt Thrower
Reaper Bolt Thrower




Deployment
Jake and I both spread out armies out.  Jake flanked his army with his dark riders and flanked his hill with the ranked units.  His bolt throwers each went into a terrain piece, even if they couldn’t claim.

I put my bunker down across from his block units.

I choose not to vanguard on the left in case I get first turn.  Both Jake’s unit and my right unit start the fast cavalry dance.

Jake gets the first turn, something that was key in our last game and every fast army pairing with my fast army (I got first versus Ryan Nicol at 2013 WaaaghPACA and against Ben Cone at 2014 WaaaghPACA.  I even got first versus Jake at 2013 Northstar).




Turn 1 – Dark Elves (Jake)
Jake moves strong into position.  His shooting kills 1 dark rider on the right and 3 warlocks.




Turn 1 – Dark Elves (Me)
I try to counter on the right, and charge my 4 dark riders into his 5 dark riders hoping my +S will see me through.  Unfortunately I lose 1 to the stand and shoot.  I hold and make it into combat.

Hoping to press my magic superiority, I roll a mighty 2/1 magic phase (actually really nice given no wizard on his side).  I 2D soul blight on the left dark riders.

In shooting I kill 4 off the weakened unit.

In the combat Jake makes all his 5+ armor saves and I can’t make any of my 4+.  I lose my unit.




Turn 2 – Dark Elves (Jake)
Jake is now in the lead, continues to jockey for position.  His shooting is ineffective this turn.




Turn 2 – Dark Elves (Me)
I do the dance and go onto magic where I pick up an 8/5 magic phase.  I roll a 3D soulblight on the executioners, which he fails to dispel.  I follow up with a 4D doom bolt, rolling a triple and killing 10 off the unit.

My shooting kills the off the left dark rider unit and leaves 1 executioner.  I also kill 2 witches.




Turn 3 – Dark Elves (Jake)
The witches unit, now looking a little alone attempts to charge a bolt thrower but fails.  Jake’s shooting only kills 1 dark rider.




Turn 3 – Dark Elves (Me)
I wanted my warlocks in a position to cast their doom bolt at the executioner, and couldn’t manage to do both that and set up for a witch charge, so I declared a charge on the executioner.  Jake fled and I failed my charge.

For magic I pick up a 6/4 magic phase and start with a 3D soulblight on the witches hoping to draw his dice (after all lots of shooting at witches is bad, right?).  Jake chooses to let it go and then dispels my 3D soulblight at the last executioner.

My shooting then kills 11 witches.




Turn 4 – Dark Elves (Jake)
The witches successfully charge the bolt thrower.  The executioner make their snakes and rally.

His shooting kills 1 doom fire warlock.

The bolt thrower crew kills 2 witches before dying.  The witches run off the table.




Turn 4 – Dark Elves (Me)
With not much on the table I try to set up for later turns.  A 4/3 magic phase has me irresistibly casting doom bolt to pick up the last executioner.  It costs me 3 doom fire warlocks.

My shooting kills 2 dark riders, which panic and pass through the pyramid, losing 1 more to dangerous terrain.




Turn 5 – Dark Elves (Jake)
The dark riders rally and hide to claim terrain.  Shooting kills 2 of my dark riders.




Turn 5 – Dark Elves (Me)
Not wanting to give up my terrain I begin to limit my movement.  My general does charge out of the unit to try to pic up a bolt thrower.  He has to survive one single bolt thrower shot, but will prevent my doom fire warlocks from losing the terrain piece they are claiming should they be forced to eat 2 bolt throwers.

I skip my magic phase as it wouldn’t help and I cant afford a miscast.  My general kills the bolt thrower.

Turn 6 – Dark Elves (Jake)
The witches charge and kill a bolt thrower.  The crew isn’t able to clean up the unit.  My general gets shot but only takes 2 wounds from Jake’s bolt thower.


Turn 6 – Dark Elves (Me)
Nothing to do so I skip my turn, just claiming objectives.

No comments:

Post a Comment