Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Adepticon – It’s How You Use It List 2

I decided this year that I wanted to play in the 1000 point events.  I had done them the first Adepticon, but had skipped them last year because I had wanted time to browse the Con.  However, a full day was WAY too much time.  I decided that this year I would maximize the game play and minimize the looking since later in the con there wouldn’t be many lines and the events always have breaks with plenty of time.  The rules also didn’t allow me to play both 1000 point events out of the same book, so no Dark Elves.

So what to play?  I had no idea.  Skaven wouldn’t work as I wasn’t bringing any foot troops.  Ogres wouldn’t work for the same reason.  I didn’t like High Elves in my style at 1000 points.  That was all the armies I had played, and so that meant I had to play something new.  So what did I have.  My dark elf list had 4 fighty mount characters, 2 mounted casters, lots of cavalry troops and 3 bolt throwers.  So whatever I played, it would have cavalry.

What armies have cavalry in core… dark elves (can’t double up), high elves (already discarded), warriors of chaos, bretonnia, wood elves, and empire.  So 4 armies to choose from.

Well, I like to play evil armies, so first I took a look at Warriors, but its only 1000 points.  So first thing, no Daemon Prince.  Sorc Lord?  No… he’s 235 points and couldn’t be mounted.  Chaos Lord… well, he’s 210 points, so I can mount him but then that doesn’t leave me anything else.  No lord?  Both the heroes are expensive enough that I couldn’t take 2 mounted, so no BSB.  Hmm… well, that’s not ideal.  They do have both crushers (requiring modeling) and chaos knights, so I could go marauder cavalry core (out of the warlocks that have flails), knights (out of the speared dark riders) and something as crushers.  Crushers are expensive.  I would likely go caster to give me some magic, and would be able to deck him out as I knew I couldn’t take a second character… so 3++ rerolling 1 on a demonic mount to go into the knights?  Could be fun.

Bretonnia?  Not interested and probably more spear models that I can filter out of the dark riders.

Wood Elves?  Interesting, but nah.

Empire?  Well, I’ve never considered playing Empire, unlike the other three armies.  What do they have?  1+ armor wall?  So a unit of knights?  Chicken Knights?  Steam tank…hmm, I have one of those.  What about the characters?  Well, they are going to be going into the core as they are cannon bait in the chickens.  So I will want them to fight.  That probably means no caster.  Arch Lector could be nice, he could go into the chickens well should there be no templates.  Can I fit him?  Easily, he’s cheap.  So can I take chickens, tank, min core, arch lector and fit a bsb… yes.  Interesting.  But I’m not familiar with their character builds, at least not as I am with warriors.  So after a few hours texting with a friend who does play empire, I came up with the following:

Arch Lector, general, warhorse, barding, heavy armor, enchanted shield, warrior bane, ironcurse icon, talisman of endurance

Captain, BSB, warhorse, barding, full plate armor, great weapon, dawnstone

8 Inner Circle Knights, musician, banner, steel standard

3 Demigryph Knights, musician

Steam Tank

I could use a mounted grey seer as the arch lector.  I have the master BSB.  I can pull 8 spears out of the dark riders for lances.  Steal Standard gives them some good consistency.  I have a steam tank already done.  But no chicken knights.  Is that a problem?  Not really, as I would have to make something for skull crushers.  In fact, the two lists are very similar in the models used.  So what is better?  I’m still not sure.


As I’m sure has already been made clear based on my hobby posts, I decided to go with Empire.  I decided that even though Inner Circle Knights weren’t as good as Chaos Knights, the steal standard, hatred, magic buffs and BSB all combined to make them good enough.  I also like getting that steam tank on the table as I feel at 1000 points it will solve lots of problems.  No dispel scroll could be a bother, but I think a +0 on the dispel will be more of a bother.  But its three games, just for fun, so no problem.



No comments:

Post a Comment