Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Celesticon - Missions

I’ve played at Celesticon the last 3 years, since the convention began.  Normally run by my friend Doc, it seems that this year he was promoted to management and so isn’t available to run it.  He asked me if would take over, and I couldn’t say no.  This will be my 5th event, and first not at Great Escape.  Doc said that he would provide me with his terrain and cloth boards along with trophies and prizes as I haven’t yet had a chance to raise those items.  My max player count will be 32 players.

One of the comments I’ve received about my Bonus Victory Point style event, is that it just changes a little a win on the 20-0 scale, but doesn’t further break up in the same why that Bonus Battle points do.  I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a 20-0 style mission with bonus victory points, but I decided to give it a try and Celesticon seemed like a good place to do that.  Doing it mid-year at the CoC just seemed to be counter the yearly cycle that Great Escape maintains.  So these three missions are 18-0 with 2 bonus points.

Mission 1: All the Colors of the Wind

Deployment – Dawn Attack
Terrain – All forests are blood forests
Special Rules: Specific lores receive a +2 to cast on specified turns.  When receiving the bonus, a miscast requires 2 roles on the table with the opponent choosing which result occurs.  Bound spells count as lores contained in army books if they don’t directly use a spell from a lore.

Lore
Turns
Fire, Beasts, Shadow & Death
1-2
Lores contained in Army books
3-4
Metal, Light, Heavens & Life
5-6

An army that contain no wizards gets +1 to dispel in all cases.

Bonus Victory Points:
100 – For each channeling model killed
50 – Each bound spell killed (only once per model)

Bonus Battle Points (1 each):
Kill general
Have more banners in terrain features than your opponent, based on model not unit.

This mission is a modification of a mission I ran early in the year at the CoC (and one I borrowed from another event).  I kept the lore table the same, but changed magic bonus to +2 instead of D3.  I also added miscast to provide a negative as well as a positive.


Mission 2: Cloaked in Fog

Deployment – Blood and Glory
Special Rules: At the beginning of each GAME turn, 4d6 are rolled, the total being the maximum line of sight available for that game turn.

Bonus Victory Points:
300 – breaking without being broken
100 – breaking first if both broken

Bonus Battle Points (1 each):
Kill a model in a challenge
Most expensive core unit alive.

I think this mission is interesting as it adds a level of predicable randomness to the game.  Most often it won’t affect the game to much, but may limit shooting such as cannons at their farther ranges.  With an average of 14” it shouldn’t prevent charges.


Mission 3: King of the Hill

Deployment – Battle Line
Terrain – Hill in center of table is Anvil of Value, but only effecting units with models on hill.
Special Rules: Watchtower ending

Bonus Victory Points:
300 – most wounds in contact with hill.

Bonus Battle Points (1 each):
Most banners outside of 12” of center based on the physical model
Destroy most expensive magic item.

This mission has a little for both players.  While the hill gives 300 points, possible granting a win or shifting the 18-0 scale a point or two, controlling outside the hill nets you an automatic +1.  The hill granting magic attacks (but not working with banner of world dragon – that would just be unfair), will help to ensure that Vampires don’t get a big advantage.




Overall, as my first event outside of my traditional gaming environment, I’m interested to see what other people think of my ideas of how Warhammer can be played.  I hope these missions provide the players with an interesting, dynamic event.  Unlike the CoC, I will be providing them ahead of time as all people have to email me to register.

No comments:

Post a Comment