Tuesday, October 28, 2014

SAWS – Round 4 – Jason Walsh – Daemons of Chaos

Bonus Objective: Most Expensive Character (GUO)
Deployment: Battleline

Special Rules
Player with most models on hill got 200 points.

The List
Great Unclean One, level 3, lore of nurgle

10 Pink Horrors
10 Pink Horrors
10 Pink Horrors
10 Pink Horrors
26 Plaguebearers, full command, banner of swiftness

5 Beasts of Nurgle
5 Beasts of Nurgle
5 Chaos Furies, Mark of Khorn
5 Chaos Furies
5 Chaos Furies
Seeker Chariot
Seeker Chariot

Skillcannon


Just wow… nasty list.  And yet Jason would get my favorite game and take Best Sports.  Just shows there really can be a difference between Comp and Sports… I commend his other opponents for seeing the difference.

Magic
My spells were wildform, flock of doom, amber spear and savage beasts – dakka and combat.


For the casts he 4 units would pick up Gleam, Gateway, Pink Fire and Bolt of Change.  His greater daemon would get rancid visitation, fleshy abandon and plague wind.



Deployment
Jason’s list impressively stretches from one table edge to the other.  The wings are controlled by furies and the center gets the plague bearers.  The left side gets beasts and both chariots with the right getting the other unit of beasts and most of the horrors (though on the back edge).

I deploy heavy left, seeing through the chariots as my best path into his back lines.


Turn 1 – Dark Elves
Moving conservatively thanks to not wanting to be anywhere near the beasts, I have no charges.  I do move up to challenge the furies.

A 5/3 magic phase starts off with a 2D amber spear on a chariot that makes its ward save.  My 3D doom bolt kills the chariot on the left.


My shooting kills a harpy and puts 2 wounds on the other chariot.



Turn 1 – Daemons
The chariot tries for the long charge against the witches but fails.

A 10/5 magic phase (8 on table) kills a bolt thrower, ouch.  A 6D gateway kills a hydra while the other spell does 4 wounds on witches and gives them regeneration.


The cannon does 1 wound to a bolt thrower.



Turn 2 – Dark Elves
I start the turn off by attempting a flank charge on cannon by dark riders (fail), flank charge by dark riders on left horrors, witches charge the daemon prince hoping to do a few wounds and lock him down for a turn or two and my beefy block charges the chariot.

I roll an 8/7 magic phase.  I start with a 2D wild form on my doom fire warlocks, which he fails to dispel.  I then 3D soulblight on the right beats, which he allows and a 3D Horros on my general is dispelled.

My shooting is completely ineffective.


The dark riders kill daemons, losing 3 thanks to pink horrors and pops the unit.  My witches wide up and put 4 wounds on the greater daemon.  They will take 5 losses themselves, but the greater daemon will pop on his leadership test.  My doom fire warlocks kill the chariot, but then fail to adequately over run, leaving their flanks exposed.



Turn 2 – Daemons
Knowing I’m about to get charged, I use my potion of strength.

The beasts charge the hydra.  The second unit charges a unit of dark riders; they fail and I fail to do anything with the stand and shoot.  The plague bearers and a unit of horrors charge my doom fire warlocks.  I kill a horror on the stand and shoot.  People watching the game asked why he charged with the horrors, after all they seemed like free combat resolution.  I think understood… they were to tie up my characters and give the plague bearers a chance to get at my gooey center.

A 7/6 magic phase sees a 6D irresistible gateway at the witches, killing 4.  He loses 3.  The now solo witch champion gains regeneration.


In combat, the Hydra does 6 wounds and takes 2… he holds.  In combat, I blow off the horrors and only kill 3 plague bearers.  I lose 4 warlocks.  3 more plague bearers die thanks to resolution and I reform.




Turn 3 – Dark Elves
A unit of dark riders taking advantage of his collapsing flanks, charges the rear of a unit of furies.  The witches fail their frenzy check so instead of running away charge a unit of horrors… which they fail.

A 9/4 magic phase has him allowing a 5D bubbled soulblight.  He then dispels a 2D wildform.  I 2D savage beasts on the master with sword of striking – I figure that strength doesn’t matter much thanks to the wardsave and I’d rather go with the 3+ to hit instead of the 4+.

Shooting finally kicks in, killing 4 horrors on the right and another from another unit.


In combat, the dark riders kill 4 furies and overrun into a unit of horrors, losing 1 to the forest.  They hydra takes another 2 wounds but does 3 more.  The beasts again pass their leadership test.  The plague bearers get taken off before they have a chance to attack.  My characters managed to put 26 wounds on the unit, with only the 1 guy upgraded… crazy.



Turn 3 – Daemons
Trying to recoup some points, and likely after seeing the success of the pink horrors in killing dark riders, a unit of horrors charges dark riders.  He loses 2 on the stand and shoot and then fails his charge.  The furies on the left charge a bolt thrower.

A 10/7 magic phase gives him +1 ward save.  I dispel the 6D gateway.

The Cannon kills 4 off a dark rider unit with their flank exposed, and the unit panics off the table.

The furies kill the bolt thrower.  The hydra does another wound and then dies.  The dark riders kill 1 horror and another horror dies during resolution.


Turn 4 – Dark Elves
I use my potion of foolhardiness and charge my doom fire warlocks into a unit of beasts.  I charge a solo furie with some dark riders.

A 10/7 magic phase as Jason allowing a 2D wildform on the doom fire warlocks.  Jason then dispels a 3D soul blight on the beasts and fails to dispel a 5D bubbled horros.

The dark rider fails its fear and can’t kill the furry.  The furry than dies to static combat.  The dark riders chip off 2 more horrors and the unit fails its leadership and dies.  My characters make quick work of the beasts… finally found a solution to a unit of beasts – 1200 points of dark elf bunker with savage beasts of horros.


Turn 4 – Daemons
A 6/5 magic phase doesn’t do anything.  In shooting, my wizard fails a look out sir and dies.

Turn 5 – Dark Elves
I kill a horror.

Turn 5 – Daemons
The witches die off

Turn 6 – Dark Elves
Nada

Turn 6 – Daemons
A 2/1 magic phase kills a unit of furies.

Solid win for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment