Saturday, July 20, 2013

June CoC – Round 2 – Simon Lambert – Tomb Kings

Scenario: Head Hunters
Deployment: Battlelines

Special Rules: Ignore normal 100 points for general.  When general dies, nominate another character to be the general (must follow normal rules, such as leadership and characters must be eligible – so no assassins).  If all possible general characters are killed, score 500 points instead of normal 100.


The List:

Archan the Black
Liche High Priest, Dispel scroll, obsidian amulet, level 4, lore of light

16 Skeleton Archers, full command
10 Skeleton Archers
10 Skeleton Archers
5 Skeleton Horse Archers
5 Skeleton Horse Archers
5 Skeleton Chariots, musician, standard, banner of eternal flame

6 Necropolis Knights, musician, banner
Khemrian Warsphinx

Necrosphinx
Casket of Souls
Screaming Skull Catapult
Screaming Skull Catapult


Tomb Kings and I was excited… seeing the list, not so much.  9 levels of magic, and after having a rough time with light wasn’t looking for second round and dominating death wasn’t going to be a breeze either.  Plus, looking at the table there was impassible in three of the four corners, forcing me to play the center.  I knew this would mean I was going to have to eat combo charges.  My goal then became to draw things out in different directions and try to overwhelm one unit at a time as they charged me to prevent a combo from being set up.

For magic, I picked up Bless with Filth and Plague on my scroll caster, Cloud of Corruption and Vermintide on the other level 2 and the level one picked up wither.  His level 4 god Pha’s, speed, net and Shems with Archan taking soulblight, spirit leech, fate of bjuna, purple sun and doom and darkness.

For deployment I put a rat on each flank, and 4 in the center, two on each side of my just slightly to the right ogre horde.  Simon put archers and fast cav on each flank, the necro knights on left, a monster, the chariots and the other monster on the right.  The characters went in their bunker in the back, along with the centered casket and paired catapults on each side.  I saw that the catapults were both within 12” of the casket, as was the general and decided to keep one unit of gutters in reserve to walk on the back edge.  I put a unit of gutter runners on the left to hold up the fast cav, and the other in the unit to try to pull out the necro knights or be able to walk past them should they not charge in.

We roll off and I get the first turn.




I move up slightly to be in better counter charge range for the necro knights.  The darts move up to threaten the small units and pull the bow shots.  The gutters move up to try to take out a catapult.  The center gutters stay still as they are in position to shoot the warssphinx and still hold up the necro knights.  For magic I only have plague in range of the chariots and so I chuck 6 at it with a 8/3 phase.  He lets it go off to hold those three dice for casting.  I get a wound on chariot.  In shooting I put 5 wounds on the left catapult (yay!) and then he rolls 3 6s, keeping it alive (dang).  I then put 6 wounds on the warsphinx (yay!) and he saves 4 (really?!?).  So with that depressing shooting phase we move onto his first turn.



On Simon’s turn 1 he puts the necro knights into the gutter runners, as I had hoped.  He takes 2 wounds on the stand and shoot and passes his test.  My plan was to have this, then counter and take them out, leaving me just the monsters and chariots to have to get through.  I thought it was a good plan.  Then he gets a 10PD/5DD magic phase, adding 5 dice to his roll.  I even channeled.  I allow Pha’s to go on the necro knights to prevent speed of light… which he then miscasts on.  Miscast wounds the wizard and kills 5 archers.  It also costs him a mighty 1 power die.  I dispel doom and darkness and then scroll the casket on my gutter runners.  The catapults open up and kill a packmaster and put a wound on the rat ogres.  The archers kill three gutters and they flee, which did not make me happy.  The center-right dark loses its packmaster, also not making me happy.  The gutter runners fail their fear test and then die to a man, never striking back.  Does seem he was adding full attacks for the riders though when it should have been only 1.  I figured that out later in the game.

For my turn 2 I started to press.  On the left I tried a long charge with a rat dart into the fast cav unit, but fail.  I put the rat ogres into the necro knights.  This was the plan, though I did second guess with those spells up.  I didn’t want to give him a chance to get up doom in addition to those spells though so I pressed on.  My level 1 did take a wound due to the trees on the charge.  On the right, the packmaster less unit charges the chariots, which was not want I wanted.  Chaff, not pursuit assistance.  I also put a dart into the flank of the necro sphinx in the hopes that I would make my panic and keep him from counter charging.  (Note: his saves in turn 1 were key to keeping stuff alive, and his shooting on turn 1 made that damn dart hit the chariots… the second having a longer term impact, but both not being great for me).  My gutters on the left rally and my other gutter unit doesn’t come on the table.  I roll a 10PD/6DD magic phase.  He scrolls wither, dispels bless with filth and then allows plague on his casters unit, saving 3 dice.  Plague kills 2 archers thanks to great rolling on toughness tests and his magic resistance.  My gutter runners flee from the monster and he passes his pursuit roll (dang).  The dart doesn’t die to the chariot’s and he pursues into an easy charge for the rat ogres.  In the combat, he kills my general and puts 2 wounds on the other bone breaker.  He also kills off the level 1 caster.  I drop the snakes to 3 wounds and we move on to next turn… but wait, he says he forgot the unit had a banner (they did) even though it wasn’t modeled.  This caused me to have to redo my reform as he put another model onto the table. I reform 3 front.

I think this was a huge mistake.  I should have given the necro knights my flank, and faced the oncoming counter charge.




On Simon’s turn 2 what I feared happened.  Both monsters and the chariots all counter charged into the rat ogres.  And they all made it.  Sad.  A 10/4 magic phase (it hurts!) had me failing to dispel soulblight, the casket obliterating the gutter runners (and a dart panicing off the table because of it).  He also puts his buffs back onto the necro knights.  His bow shooting doesn’t do anything and his catapults banics a dart by clipping off 1 rat.  Then the combat.  Well… yeah.  I drop a few chariots, drop the necro knights to 1 wound and then…. Die.  Because I didn’t reform I don’t get to remove models the best way and I end up with more than half in the forest… and therefore no steadfast.  I then run and get run down.  Because of the mission, that unit was worth 2317 points, which locks in the major win for Simon.

But wait… I still have a few rat darts on the table and a unit of gutter runners off the table.  And as I never quit despite the state of the game we go onto…



My turn 3, 3 of the 4 running rat darts rally.  A unit of rat dart charges the horse archers on the right.  No gutter runners.  I lose a few giant rats but win the combat.

On Simon’s turn 3 his chariots charge a dart, which flees.  He makes up a 12/6 magic phase.  I dispel the casket which he throws 6 at.  His shooting kills a rat dart.  My rats lose the combat and get caught.
On my turn 4 the gutter runners come on.  They throw it all at the casket which goes pop.  It then takes out the wounded catapult and puts a wound on the other.  It fails to hit the archer unit through.  I set myself up to either charge the archer bunker or the other catapult (and then run off the table).
On Simon’s turn 4 a rat dart flees the warsphinx.  A 9PD/4DD magic phase has me dispelling shems but net goes off.  I forgot about Net and probably devoted more dice to shems that I should have preventing me from keeping the runners from getting net cast on them.  Risky…
But it doesn’t matter because time is called.  Suffice it to say, I lost.  0/20

No comments:

Post a Comment