Friday, July 12, 2013

Quake City Rumble – The Missions

This year it feels like QCR has gone a little strange with its missions.  As I look through them I see lots of things that I have seen at other events I’ve been to, but none of them feel like what I remember QCR feeling like.  The missions in order will be:

1.       Staking Your Claim

2.       The Beer Wench Arrives

3.       Tectonic Flux

4.       Greed is Good

5.       I Want it All

Stake Your Claim

This mission deploys via Meeting engagement, with the normal 100 points to win.  For bonus points 2 points are earned for having more models on the center hill at the end of the game, 1 point is earned for destroying largest unit based on model count and 1 point is earned if your highest point core unit is still alive.  For ties, units need to be identified at the beginning of the game.  The person who travelled the farthest places the first terrain piece.

For this mission, I think I am going to have problems with the bonus missions, since without the hydras I am going to have problems with the killing of the largest unit.  Unit of 40 goblins, never going to happen.  If I’m lucky it will be a big ogre block and I can drop a few purple suns on them.  I should be able to keep 1 dark rider unit of my choice alive.  The center is going to be hard with only 43 models plus 2 warmachines.

The Beer Wench Arrives

This mission is aptly named as the Beer Wench has historically arrived at lunch, and so is in place for round 2.  The objective is to hold onto your keg while stealing your opponents.  The keg is held by a non-flying core unit (people get flying core units?) that must also have a standard or champion in the unit.  This unit is subject to stupidity, cannot use a character leadership and is both ITP and stubborn.  Characters may not join this unit.  Being broken in combat or destroying the unit drops the keg.  A unit may move over to capture the keg (and if doing so out of combat cannot pursue).  A unit picking up the keg doesn’t need to have a banner or champion, but still can’t be flying.  A character can’t pick up the key, but can be in the unit when it’s picked up (though another cannot join afterwards).  The deployment is dawn attack with the key always deploying in the center.  2 points are earned for capturing your opponent’s keg, 1 for keeping your own and 1 for getting your key into your opponent’s half of the table.

I don’t think this mission is very balanced.  Armies with core units that are self-sufficient, like warriors of chaos, are at a great advantage.  Also fast cavalry armies are at a huge advantage, or undead that can be raised back up.  There will be match ups where one player has a much easier time on this objective.

Making a unit of dark riders ITP is dangerous, but I’ll just have to play him carefully and not put him in a position to be charged.  Once again, they will put their keg into a large unit, making it hard for me to dislodge it.  Getting my keg into my opponent’s half of the table, assuming I keep him alive, will be easy.

Tectonic Flux

This is a battleline mission.  The player with the fewest magic levels gets to decide who deploys first though.  The special rule for this mission is that during each magic phase a number is rolled, and that number causes any power or dispel dice matching to be ignored.  Each player is required to assign the ‘diving rod’ to a character.  This item provides a one use bound item (power level 8).  This item targets 1 model within 18” and line of sight and will destroy 1 random magic item on the model.  If cast with irresistible force, the model takes a strength 10 hit.  2 points can be earned by killing a model that generates/channels either power or dispel dice and if there are none, the general becomes the target.  For 1 point you can destroy the highest cost magic/demonic/runic item.  The dividing rod can be used to achieve this.  Once again ties must be chosen at the beginning of the game.  The last point is earned by having more casting levels than your opponent, a general being worth 1 should a player not have any.

This mission seems to be focused on rewarding wizard levels.  This seems strange as I would think common through would be that not taking a wizard is a disadvantage.  I do like that they give everyone the ability to destroy the magic item outside of having to kill the model.  I also like that they give you a magic item in case your opponent doesn’t have any (my saws eshin army didn’t).

That destruction of magic items makes my pendent or dragon egg very scared.  But since its only 1 use I’m not that worried.  My pendent general becomes my highest point magic item character and death magic means I can probably kill their character if I can’t destroy their magic item.  Not sure who I would give my item to, perhaps an assassin.  With 6 casting levels, I will have to kill a caster anyways, and likely my level 2 will die in their quest for killing a caster.  I think death magic will be clutch here.

Greed is Good

The deployment for this mission is blood and glory with the person with the most fortitude getting the +1 to deploy first.  The objective is to claim more table quarters, using fortitude.  The victory conditions is still 100 points, but 1 bonus point is earned for controlling a table quarter, 1 for breaking your opponent, 1 for control MORE quarters and 1 for getting one in your opponent’s half.

So it’s possible in this mission for one player to get 4 while the other gets 3 bonus points.  So I guess going with the ‘greed is good’ theme, one should agree with the opponent not to kill generals, or contest both quarters in each side?  So you fight over just half the board for more quarters?

I like claiming table quarters.  I like this mission for my dark elves.  As long as I get an opponent I can break (not 3 units of 40 goblins), I should be able to swing max assuming I can even swing a win.

I Want it All

This is another battleline mission.  Your general gains hatred for your opponent’s general. 1 point is earned for killing your opponent’s general, 1 point is earned for “character fortitude” (3 for lord, 2 for hero, 1 for champ – highest wins), 1 point for winning my more than 500 points and 1 point for having a non-fleeing unit in your opponent’s deployment zone.

Death magic will once again be clutch here.  I have a lot of starting “character fortitude” assuming the assassins count – though rules as written they don’t, which means I won’t actually have much given I have no champions.  Probably best the assassins don’t count, as that only gives me 7 to give up, and more to earn because most people are going to have at least the same 3 characters (lord caster, bsb and secondary caster), along with a champion or two.
 

So day 2 has more normal missions, which makes sense given the desire of the event to not be determined based on funky rules.  But there are still lots of extra things to remember is some of the missions which can make it hard and inconsistent (especially day 1 when everyone is drunk).

No comments:

Post a Comment