Monday, July 22, 2013

June CoC – Round 3 – Chris Perriraz - Lizardman



Scenario: Magic Flux

Deployment: Battleline
Special Rules: Wizards worth +50 points and when generating dice, roll them all and if a ‘1’, give to opponent (power and dispel).

The List:

Saurus Oldblood, Carnosaur, shield, burning blade of chotec, glittering scales, dawnstone

Skink Chief, BSB, Ancient Stegadon, stegadon war-spear
Skink Priest, Cube of Darkness

35 Saurus Warriors, full command
35 Saurus Warriors, full command
10 Skink Skirmishers
10 Skink Skirmishers
10 Skink Skirmishers
10 Skink Skirmishers
10 Skink Skirmishers
10 Skink Skirmishers

2 Salamanders
2 Salamanders



After playing two games of rough light magic I was glad to see a list without lots of magic (surprise, he was down with me).  For magic I rolled up Vermintide and Plague on my dispel scroll guy (both great skink clearing spells), bless and wither on my other level two (both good saurus killing spells) and cloud on my level 1 (yay steg and carnosaur?  Well, sort of).  Chris took Ice shard after rolling wind blast.  I thought wind blast would have been great as I only had one real target and it would help him have the time he needed to get his flank.

Chris commented that we should just push it forward, and I pointed out that was all I had.  For deployment he counted every one of my rat darts with a unit of skinks.  I then put my unit off center on the right where he wouldn’t be able to easily tag team me based on where his skinks were.  He put his monsters to follow up and hid his caster behind the impassible.  He also put a flamer on each side.  I held a unit of gutter runners back to assassinate the caster and otherwise put the units on the right side.


We roll off and I get first turn for the third game in a row.  I move up a little, but don’t move into range for plague and so don’t cast.  I shoot the right salamander and he makes all 5 saves for the wounds I do.



On Chris’ turn 1 he charges his salamander into the gutter runners.  He takes a wound on the stand and shoot.  A 3PD/1DD magic phase has him casting ice shard on the rat ogres.  His shooting kills a gutter runner and 1 giant rat.  The salamanders kill 3 rats in shooting on the left and panics the unit.  In combat I do 3 wounds to the salamanders, and he does 2 back resulting in a tie combat.



My turn 2 the giant rats charge the skinks that had moved to shoot the gutter runners.  When the gutter runners also charge he does some fleeing.  After a few other charges I get to kill some skinks and leave my chaff in a fairly good position, even with flanks exposed.  The gutter runners come on the table right next to the wizard, and then take him out in shooting.  I roll a massive 1PD/2DD magic phase (thanks mission!).  I fail fear in the combat, and the gutter runners get run down by the salamander.

Chris’ turn 2 and his steg charges the gutter runners.  They flee.  He redirects into a dart which also flees.  The warriors take the flank of a dart.  His shooting on the left moves to encircle.  His flame takes out 2 of the fleeing gutter runners.  He also puts a wound on a rat ogre and kills some more rats from a fleeing unit.  He then kills some giant rats, leaving 1 rat and a packmaster, which flee away from the saurus.  He holds and I only roll 3 inches, putting me right in front of his unit and between my rat ogres and his unit.

 
My turn 3 and I have a problem.  I can’t get to his saurus warriors for sure.  So I put a dart into the flank of his saurus warriors.  This puts him also chaffing the carnisaur.  It will allow my rat ogres to fight twice as I put them into the skinks.  I now need the rat dark to fail its 7 leadership and run past the rat ogres.  But alas they rally.  Now I need to figure out how to get it out of my way… and I have a solution.  First I roll my magic, a nice 6/3 phase.  I roll 3 dice on wither to draw out his dispel dice, and they do.  I then put 3 into cloud and pray I can roll a 4+ to kill off my unit.  AND I DO!  Skaven killing off its own unit to clear up space for me to get into the saurus warriors.  In combat I demolish the skinks and over run into the saurus warriors.  Then, before he gets to attack I proceed to demolish the warriors, leaving 8 after my attacks.  He does a single wound to my T5 wall and then runs on two chances for snakes.
At this point Chris concedes.  His other unit is chaffed and so his options are to charge just with the characters or risk me getting the charge on my turn as his chaff in the center is gone.  He also gets a text from a girl who wants to meet him for dinner.  Win, 20-0 but not even half a game.

No comments:

Post a Comment