Thursday, November 14, 2013

Infernal Zoo – Round 2 – Derek Wiswell – Vampire Counts


The Mission
Meeting Engagement

Bonus Objectives
Top of the Food Chain
Don’t Trod of my Turf

The List
Vampire Lord, Level 4, Lore of Vampires, General, Bizarro Hammer, Enrapturing Ball of Fetch, Glittering Scales, Sceptre of Stability, Talisman of Preservation, Red Fury, Quickblood, Summon Creatures of the Night.

Necromancer, Level 2, lore of Death, Dispel Scroll
Tomb Banshee
Tomb Banshee

50 Skeleton Warriors, full command, Banner of Pillowy Mist
31 Zombies, banner, musician
31 Zombies, banner, musician
5 Dire Wolves, champion, vanguard
6 Hexwraiths
6 Hexwraiths
2 Fell Bats
2 Fell Bats

Terrorgeist

Magma Dragon
6 Harpies

So a solid vampire list (that vampire is like 575 points after adding his monster contingent items, nasty.  The three screams did not bode well for my max of ld 8, and the flaming hexwraiths meant the end of me.  I was fairly sure this was the worst match up for me at the event and was going to be a rough game.  Thankfully Derek is a great person to play against.  His contingent consisted of a lower level Magma dragon, so a beast but not a broken beast and a unit of blockers.


Magic
I took a double dose of warplightening… would have loved Crack’s Call here.

The Vampire took Invocation, Dance, Gaze and Raise Dead.  The death necromancer took Spirit Leech and Caress.

Deployment

First thing… this is the same table I played the last game on.

We rolled off, and it was decided that I would deploy my entire army first and have the best chance of going first.  For delayed deployment I only rolled a 1 for a single unit of stormvermin.

Knowing that I would never get a unit of zombies out of a building, nor get to kill the banshee hiding inside and screaming at me, I chose the side with the building closest to the halfway line.  He still had a building, but it would be easier for me to avoid it.  I deployed weighted to the left, with my monsters nearly along the line.  I decided to bet on my going first and wanted to push him back into the corner or else give myself the option of early charges.  My stormvermin held back, given that they were practically worthless.

Derek only rolled for delayed deployment with the necromancer, meaning that should I go first he would not be able to use his dispel scroll.  To compensate this, Derek put a unit of zombies along the back edge on the center.  He covered the outside of his left flank with a unit of dogs and hexwraiths.  He covered the center with the magma dragon and then put down the vampire with its skeleton bunker.  The right flank got the other hexwraith unit and zombie unit.  The back corner got the terrorgeist, safe from my poison.

I scouted center to start hitting the magma dragon and left to prevent the dogs and hexwraiths from vanguarding around my other flank.

Derek rolled and didn’t get the 6 he would have needed to steal the first turn from me.





Turn 1 – Skaven
So going first I tried to make a quick strike by putting a brood horror into the dogs on the left.  I didn’t need that much to get me off the table, and I really wanted to get away from the hex wraiths.  On the right I pushed the abomination forward in the hopes of pulling out either the terrorgeist or the hexwraiths.  Unfortunately, the abomination got really existed and over extended himself, basically meaning he was going to die by the things he was supposed to lure out without having to actually lure them out.

I got a 9/6 magic phase.  He allows a warp lightening on the harpies, killing three (pass panic) and then dispels the one on the left hex wraiths.

My cannon does nothing thanks to a misfire (but at least it rolled, right?).  The rest of my shooting is equally effective (runners at magma).

I kill the dogs but fail to get off the table, stopping less than an inch away…dang.





Turn 1 – Vampire Counts
The magma charges the gutter runners, losing a wound on the stand and shoot.

The two hex wraith units dance through the brood horror on the left and the abomination.  Doing 4 wounds to each, lovely.  The screamers move into position.  The Necromancer joins his waiting bunker.

Derek, not already in a good enough position rolls a 12/6 magic phase.  I dispel spirit leech on the wounded brood horror, but was forced to use all my dice as he rolled really high.  I then allow dance to move a banshee into range of the abomination, as I saw the terrorgeist already sufficient to kill it.  What I didn’t catch was that the vampire lore allowed for non-undead models to be healed and so the magma dragon healed his wound.  I then allowed gaze on the abom, again seeing the terrorgeist and banshee sufficient to kill it.  He gets a wound on it.  I allow caress on the 1 wound brood horror as my stat is high and the banshee is right there.  He does get a wound through and kills him.  He then fails to cast invocation.  Phew… long phase.

The terrorgeist more than kills the abomination leaving the banshee standing there.

In combat the gutter runners get a wound through.  He then does 13 wounds, but I roll 7 6s, keeping the unit barely alive.  He then runs them down anyways.





Turn 2 – Skaven
Derek starts off the turn by activating his banner of pillowy mist.

My Night runners moved to come in, but there wasn’t space where they were to come up, so they had to wait for another turn.

I started off the turn by using both potions, and declaring both into the hex wraiths that had just demolished my abomination.  I also charge the Brood Horror into the magma dragon’s flank.  The brood horror made it, but alas both of my potions were wasted as they failed to reach the hexwraiths.

I bring on the stormvermin on the left side, hoping to cut off the possible flight of the harpies and perhaps get a good flank or rear charge.

I get an 11/6 magic phase, and first thing I irresistibly cast warplightening against the hexwraiths, getting 8 hits and kill them all.  The wizard then causes both wizards to take a wound and removes the rest of my dice.

My cannon again shows a misfire, and after I get an advantageous scatter thanks to the banner of pillowy mist.  Such a shame.  My gutter runners manage to do a wound to the bats despite needing 8s to hit.

The Brood Horror does 2 wounds to the magma dragon including with the breath weapon.  The dragon then flees, taking 4 dangerous terrain tests in its flight (building, his own banner, unit and a river).  He does fail one, but passes his ward save.  This puts the dragon way off on the left.





Turn 2 – Vampire Counts
Derek rolls, and finds that his banner has ended.  It continuing wouldn’t have been a big deal to Derek, as only the dragon would be effected by it (which is probably why he took it).

With no charges, and that damn dragon ralling, Derek uses his remaining left side hex wraiths to pass through my assassin.  He deals 5 wounds, but I manage to make all 4+ ward saves.  He then moves in the banshee and terrorgeist to finish the task.

For magic he rolls a not so good 9/6 magic phase.  He starts off with an irresistible casting of gaze on my general.  The mount takes 1 wound from the spell.  The miscast then kills 5 skeletons and takes away 2 dice.  He picks up his remaining dice and irresistiblely casts spirit leech on my doom rocket caster, killing him and gaining a dice back.  He then blows up, wounding both himself (not sucking into warp), the banshee and 15 zombies.  He then loses all of his dice… ouch, and me with a handful of dispel dice left.

In shooting the assassin gets banshee’d and the terrorgeist rolls box cars to pick up the lord and his mount.






Turn 3 – Skaven
Not really sure what to do with the night runners, I roll again and they don’t come on.  I’m not sure I did it correctly, but it seemed to be the best way to do it.

Really feeling the hurt now, I recharge the magma dragon with my brood horror.  I put a unit of stormvermin into the bats looking for my cannon and hoping for a low roll on the thunderstomp put the left unit of stormvermin into the rear of the terrorgeist.

My turn for a 9/6 magic phase but he scrolls my magic missile.

The gutter runners manage to kill 6 zombies from the demolished unit.  The cannon rolls a misfire, but this time on the first casting, but fires in a direction where there were no targets.

In combat, the brood horror does 1 wound to the dragon and makes all his saves.  The dragon holds.  The stormvermin pass their test but fail to wound the terrorgeist, getting caught.  The bats die.





Turn 3 – Vampire Counts
Turn 3 and Derek charges the hex wraiths into the stormvermin.

In magic, I fail to dispel invocation and the second unit of bats more than doubles in size.

I kill the magma dragon by rolling a bunch of poison.  The stormvermin pass their fear test, but he manages to kill out the wizard and 2 guys, running me down.





Turn 4 – Skaven
The night runners again roll to come on, and so do.  I charge them into the flank of the terrorgeist, figuring this time I have ranks and way more attacks and he just needs to roll poorly on the thunderstomp to see him crumble.  I also put the brood horror in the little unit of zombies.

In shooting the gutter runners do 2 wounds to the bats.  The cannon kills a harpy, but the unit doesn’t panic.

In combat the brood horror kills the necromancer and some zombies before crumbling the unit down to just the banner.  In the combat with the terrorgeist, the weapons team fails its fear test but the unit passes.  I then do 1 wound from the weapons team and nothing from the night runners.  He kills the team and 2 night runners and then gets 4 thunderstomp, winning combat and turning to take away my flank bonus.





Turn 4 – Vampire Counts
The bats charge my cannon.

He skips his magic, not wanting to risk the miscast.

He screams only rolls a 2 to kill the brood horror.

In the terrorgeist, the night runners again pass their fear but he makes his regeneration save.  I then lose 5 and get run down.  The cannon fails to wound the bat and then fails and dies.  The Brood Horror kills the zombie unit.





Turn 5 – Skaven
My turn 5 and the stormvermin charges to clean up bats even though it makes them available to the hex wraiths.  I do this because one of my objectives is to have more units in his deployment zone then he has in mine, and I’ve known I’ve lost so giving up a few more points doesn’t hurt me.

The gutter runners and brood horror avoid charging in order to move into his deployment zone.

In combat, the stormvermin almost ruin my plans by not only not wounding but also getting wounded, but in the end manage to kill the remaining bat through crumble.





Turn 5 – Vampire Counts
He counter charges the stormvermin, which fail terror and get run down.  He scrambles to try to kill me but doesn’t achieve anything this turn.  Once again skips magic.





Turn 6 – Skaven
I keep moving, throw some dice for gutter runners but don’t actually do anything.





Turn 6 – Vampire Counts
Derek continues to try to chase me down.  The terrorgeist screams at the brood horror, doing 6 wounds but I save enough to not die.  The gutter runners lose 8 themselves from screams but pass their panic and stay in Derek’s deployment zone.

Overall, bad match up and a harsh loss, but in the end I managed to pull out some bonus points.

I think Derek would go on to take second place general or something high up there.


No comments:

Post a Comment