Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Celesticon – Wrap-Up


wow, on the fourth floor is the... fourth floor

So that’s my third Celesticon into the records.  A 2/1 event with my only loss going to the undefeated and second place High Elf army.  I thought he was going to take overall, but it seemed that the final score had equal weighting between the three scores (paint, battle and sports), and not based on the actual points.  Overall ended up going to Michael Hengl of Leadership 2 and his Orcs & Goblins.  I believe he only went 2/1, like me, but the army has a wonderful paint job (not done by Michael, though he is a great painter in his own right) and of course Michael is a fun guy to play.

I’m not sure if I will return to Celesticon next year.  Is 30 bucks to get into the convention for a single day (with no cost for the event).  It also takes a nearly a full tank of gas for the 2.5 hour drive each way.  With none of my group going, that makes for a very long, very early solo drive which is a big drag on the day.  Maybe if I can get some company next year I will be more positive on attendance.

Doc does run a smooth event though, and it would be a shame to miss it as it’s a good time.  It’s just the cost (70+ bucks after gas and food) and the 5 hours in the car.  If I can get someone to split gas, it drops the cost to 50 bucks and helps resolve some of the drive issue.  Three or four people just would help that much more.

I have decided that I dislike the Focus Familiar, though it had an occasional use.  Maybe if I had a wizard in combat more and wanted to cast offensive spells, but it just didn’t trigger enough for me to keep paying for it – back to Tome of Furion.  I have also decided that the level 2 on the metal wizard probably isn’t worth it.  Metal is just to conditional of spell, and Final Transmutation just seems to be a secondary for if my death caster dies.  I just want the Searing Doom and Dispel Scroll, so I will be changing for that.  Maybe I’ll consider a second fighty character, maybe with Ring of Hotek and move the dispel scroll to the Level 4 instead of the tome of furion.  We’ll see.  I think I have 3 events scheduled before the book is gone (Infernal Zoo, a CoC and possibly North Star depending on the timing).  Of them, only North Star and maybe the CoC will have me playing this army.  Infernal Zoo will be some true skaven fun.

Dark Elves – 27w/10l/1d
Ogres – 2w/3l/0d
Skaven – 3w/4l/1d

Singles – 23w/13l/1d
Doubles – 8w/3l/0d

Overall – 32w/17l/2d

No comments:

Post a Comment