Tuesday, October 29, 2013

North Star – The Missions


It is important to note that in all missions victory is based on victory points, with a scaled system.  Major Objectives are always worth 300 points while Minor Objectives are always worth 150.

Difference in VP
Winner BP
Loser BP
0-100
10
10
101-300
11
9
301-500
12
8
501-700
13
7
701-900
14
6
901-1100
15
5
1101-1300
16
4
1301-1500
17
3
1501-1700
18
2
1701-1900
19
1
1901+
20
0

So that’s 100 for the win, and 200 for every additional battle point.  That makes my general worth 2.5 points, each of my characters worth 1 and everyone else worth almost a point themselves.

Round 1 – Hammer Time!
Deployment: Dawn Attack
Special Rules: Units and Characters with fortitude do not role for deployment.
Major Objective: Destroying (not on table) 4 core units, or all if less than 4.
Minor Objective: Destroying 3 heroes, or all if less than 3.

For the bonus objectives, I have 2 heroes, though with the wounds of 3 for my opponent to try to take out.  For the major, my opponent will have to track down two of my dark riders – I’m sure they will get the harpies (heck, I’ll probably find good reasons to give them away).  For deployment, I’ll have 5 rolls to make, hydras, harpies and my level 2 caster.  My only concern would be the location of the hydras, as I like to keep them both close to my general and bsb… but only rolling both a 1 and a 2 will prevent me from doing that.


Round 2 – Hammer Storm!
Deployment: Blood and Glory
Special Rules: Hammer Storm – Any wizard can add D3 Power or Dispel dice and the unit (or wizard if solo) takes D6 S5 hits.
Major Objective: Break your opponent
Minor Objective: Kill a channeling model

I’m not sure in this mission I will take advantage of the special rule.  If I do, it will likely be more for the dispel dice than the power dice.  Even with my pendant, it’s a risk as I can’t just give up a few models in a unit.  It’s likely that if I get broken I’ll have already lost, but maybe with some lucky death magic and some choice shooting I can get those bonus points.  I expect a channeling model’s death will be easy.


Round 3 – Time to Go Get Hammered
Deployment: Meeting Engagement
Special Rules: Objective in center of table.  Don’t use meeting engagement deployment
Major Objective: Control Objective Marker by having most models within 3”.  Monstrous counts as 3.
Minor Objective: Buy your opponent a Beer, or other drink of their choice.

This major objective could be hard to accomplish.  I just don’t have the models to compete.  I may have to accept a smaller win or tie if they have a large unit to plop down.  I can try to use the hydras to encourage the unit going elsewhere.  The minor objective is a gimmie, and will probably be the only beer I’ll drink all weekend.


Round 4 – Hammerin’ Hangover
Deployment: Battleline
Special Rules: A scoring unit has a full rank with 1 command model or character.  Skirmishers have 5 models and 1 command or character.
Major Objective: Have a scoring unit in opponent’s deployment zone.
Minor Objective: Your opponent doesn’t have a scoring unit in your deployment zone.

This one could be hard to earn, and I’m sure I won’t be able to earn the minor.  Technically, I’ll have 5 units that can score, but the dark riders are just 2 wounds each away from losing the ability to score.  I’ll also have to remember to reform the unit for the final turn.


Round 5 – Lay Down the Hammer!
Deployment: Battle for the Pass
Special Rules: Two objectives on midline.  No impassible terrain special rules of Battle for the Pass.  Night Fall – After game 5, game ends on 1 or 2.  After turn 6 game ends on 1 through 4.  Game automatically ends after turn 7.  Same scoring unit rules as Round 4.
Major Objective: Control both objectives with same control rules as round 3.
Minor Objective: Control more quarters.  Scoring units control or contest – all or nothing.

This mission will be as hard round 3, with the advantage that they will have to split their force.  My best chance would be to deny one and contest every objective and since I only need the one model in the quarter.

No comments:

Post a Comment